Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:48 AM   #1

I bought this camera just over a year ago (grr..) when on holiday in Hong Kong, as my long standing and to date reliable fuji died on me.

I have noticed in my Xmas pics a small, round spot, a shadow really....Have cleaned the lens but am told it could be on the sensor.

Have tried Pentax website for help ...no joy so far. Any ideas? Is it worth repair, assuming Pentax would consider it. If not...then I am in search of a good value replacement ~ more reliable !! K
karen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:06 PM   #2

Hi karen27,

Welcome to Steve's, we're glad to have you.

I moved your post to the General Q&A forum where you might have better luck with these questions.

Take care and good luck!

:|

-Billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:37 PM   #3

Post a pic, Karen.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:01 AM   #4

Here is a pic with the blob on it - I hope ! - Any ideas?
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:21 AM   #5

Karen,

Sure looks like a spot on the lens...you sure you cleaned it thoroughly? You're not just looking for an excuse to buy a new camera, are you? A little liquid lens cleaner? A light rub?

If you did, and it's still there, hold the camera vertically (with the lens end down) in one hand. Smack the camera sharply into the palm of your other hand. Take a picture - still there?

If it is, try taking one of those aerosol cans with compressed air in it, like dust blaster, or one of those. Spray the air all around the area where the lens comes out of the body. Take a picture - is the spot still there?

If it is, repeat the first prodedure, but this time,stand very close to a trash can (with the cover off), and this time...

Don't think Pentax could fix yours for less than you could buy a brand new one.

Good luck...let us know how you make out.

the Hun

Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:27 AM   #6

I have cleaned it with a soft glass cloth and it has made no impact...but perhaps a little shake. I actually like the camera and have only had it a year so didn't want to buy another, but as I am off to Australia in March..I don't want spots on my pictures either...

I will try a little more elbow grease, although the chap in the shop thought the mark was on the sensor rather than the lense and despite my rubbing, it doesn't seem to change shape atall as one would expect a smear to. Although, how a mark came to appear on the sensor is beyond me?....perhaps it will dry up?

Thanks for the advice anyway.

K
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:01 PM   #7

That's why I suggested the 'shock' treatment. If there is dust on the sensor, rapping the camera might make it move. Did you try that? How about the air blast trick?

Dust gets on your lens while extended, then it gets pulled into the camera body when the lens retracts. Shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does.

It won't dry up.

the Hun

Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:33 AM   #8

No go. Gave it a few sharp raps and nothing changed. I suppose I am a bit cautious about breaking it, but nothing to lose so might as well give it an even sharper rap. It hasn't even changede position which makes me think it is moisture or grease rather than dust. I don't have an air blaster but will try and get hold of one. I understand about the lens pulling it in, makes sense... ..annoying though..

Thanks anyway....cost me £120 in Hong Kong last year so disappointing but I may have to research another before I fly to Aus in March. On a bit of a budget squeeze as you can imagine - any thing you recommend for around, just under £100? (simple !)