Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:06 PM   #1

I am hoping to get into an indoor events where I would be in a good position. therefore the need for an expensive zoom will not be needed. A fastwide-angle will be a better choice.

The lens below is fairly wide, but says it gives an aperture of f2.8 at only 17mm, this might give me too much width and if I zoomed I would loose my f2.8 aperture, the alternative would be to uprate myiso to 3200, but that would risk having too much noise in my image

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/399-170A/

The next example would give me a wide aperture at all focal lengths but it is not as wide and getting the groupshots I'm after would be a tight squeeze

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/399-269Z/

In conclusion the first lens is £91 cheaper, so maybe I should go for that, what do you think?

I have a canon 40D
Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:12 PM   #2

Mr Shift wrote:
Quote:
but it is not as wide and getting the groupshots I'm after would be a tight squeeze

I have a canon 40D
Can you give more specifics regarding what exactly you'll be shooting? Group shots and wide apertures don't usually go well together - you don't often have enough depth-of-field to get multiple people in focus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:29 PM   #3

stage performance type group shots where light levels can be low and faster shutter speeds will be needed to hand hold and it may not always be groups
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:39 PM   #4

What type of performance? Music?

I think you'll likely find even 2.8 isn't fast enough. I might suggest a prime. The 50mm 1.8 is inexpensive with good results. Groups shots wouldn't work too well but as already mentioned group shots at wide apertures don't work anyway. There are, of course, wider primes but you'd lose your ability for nice tight shots of the individual.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:30 PM   #5

If your subjects are up on a stage, and you're close, you'll be looking up at them. I think you should reconsider and go with a longer lens that will give you a better perspective. Canon makes some good, fast, medium telephoto lenses that might work well. I think that eventhe maximum focal length of the lenses you're considering,will be too short.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:43 PM   #6
Administrator

Mr Shift wrote:
Quote:
I am hoping to get into an indoor events where I would be in a good position. therefore the need for an expensive zoom will not be needed. A fastwide-angle will be a better choice.
I'm with JohnG. Grab a Canon 50mm f/1.8 AF lens if you can position yourself as desired and can't use a flash. You can always stop down the aperture for better Depth of Field if you have better lighting, and you'll have wider apertures available for faster shutter speeds if needed in poorer lighting.

If you need something wider, I'd probably look at a Sigma 30mmm f/1.4 EX DC HSM for use with a 40D, keeping in mind that this lens would not work properly without vignetting on model with a larger sensor like an EOS-5D if you plan on upgrading later, since Sigma's DC lenses have a smaller image circle for use with cameras using APS-C size sensors like your 40D).

I'd try using both lenses at around f/2 for starters at higher ISO speeds for most stage lighting and adjust from there.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:40 AM   #7

yes I have a basic 50mm with a 1.8 aperture (canon af, not usm), under £100 so from what you are saying if I get in a good position that will do the job nicely, thats £200 pound saved at least!

Just to add I currently own Canon28-300mm usm

Sigma 12-24mm

apertures are 3.5 at widest points
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:16 AM   #8
Administrator

It's all a matter of balance. You lose some framing flexibility with the zoom (you need to use your feet for zoom). But, you'll get faster shutter speeds to reduce the amount of blur you see from subject movement if you use one at wider apertures (f/1.8 is more than twice as bright as an f/2.8 zoom).

In addition, the 50mm is probably going to sharper compared to an f/2.8 zoom at equivalent apertures (and you can always stop down the aperture on the 50mm to f/2.8 if lighting permits). If I plan on shooting low light music in my area, I don't even bother bringing a zoom (they're just not bright enough for that purpose in the lighting you find in this area, even using ISO 3200).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote