Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Printing help...

Ok "I Can't Print"!

Cam: Olympus C3020 Zoom
Printer: HP Photosmart 1215

Everything I seem to print out looks very pixalated. I think this has to do with the resolution of the picture in Photoshop. I know this printer can print 300dpi, but how does that compare to the 72 pixles per inch that photoshop sets the pics at.

I think this is my issue in understanding why I cant print.

If anyone can shed some light in my ingnorance :roll: here I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks

FP
FatPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:09 AM   #2

Are you setting the printer properties to photo paper and high quality printing?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:26 PM   #3

Uncheck “Resample image” in the image size box or use the crop tool to set your print size and do NOT put anything in the resolution box. In both cases Photoshop will use all of the available pixels and you will not end up with so small a resolution. Your 3Mp camera will give a better resolution than 72PPI for 8 X 10 or smaller if you don’t resample.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 7:04 PM   #4
Administrator

I'm using the same printer (HP Photosmart 1215).

It gives me very good results, up to 8x10" prints, from both 2 and 3 Megapixel Images.

Heck, I even print in draft mode sometimes on Photo Paper.

But, most of the time, the auto paper sensor "works like a charm".

Under Print Quality, I usually leave it on Normal (although, sometimes Draft is almost as Good). I never use "Best"

Under the Advanced Tab, I leave the "Automatic Photo Enhancement" box checked, and everything else "in the middle" (defaults)

Depending on paper, sometimes, I move the Ink Volume towards Light (if photos are too dark -- I use "off brand" papers a lot, and some work differently than others).

Your problem must be with your images or software. Are you sure you took the photos at 3MP resolution?

If all else fails, try the HP Photoprint software that shipped with your printer. It works great, and has templates that allow you to print multiple photo sizes on one page, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:23 PM   #5
Administrator

One other tip -- when you replace an ink cartridge, the printer should ask you if you want to print an alignment page (on the LCD display). Always tell it yes (OK button).

If you did not do this when you changed the cartridge, you can align it using the Toolbox Software. Look for the HP 1215 Toolbox under the HP Photosmart folder on your Program Menu (where it puts it by default).

You'll see an alignment option. It will automatically align the printer when it prints a test page, using a laser to read the pattern.

I've never needed to align it this way (I always tell it to align, when it asks me when replacing a cartridge).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 4:05 AM   #6

Default Re: Printing help...

While others have given you advice that will get to the same end, here is another way to test your system.

Get to image/resize in the menu system. Make sure that the resampling boxes are not checked. Change the resolution to 300 or 360 something like that (not less than 180). You will note that the image is automatically resized at that point. Now save a copy of the image and print it. I'll bet you get a good print (albeit smaller).

The reason you need to do this is that 72 is the standard resolution for viewing on a monitor. Your camera sends the image in a format designed for use on a monitor (not all do -- my Nikon D100 sends the image with the resolution set to 300). That gives you a very large, low resolution image. When you want to print, you need to change the resolution to something that will give you a good print.

Once you have changed the resolution, you may find that your print is too small for the print you want to make. If so, go back into image/resize, check the resample box (specify bicubic) and now resize the image by changing the width or the height. Photoshop will resample the image so that you have a larger image with the higher resolution you specified before.

I hope this helps!

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPoint
Ok "I Can't Print"!

Everything I seem to print out looks very pixalated. I think this has to do with the resolution of the picture in Photoshop. I know this printer can print 300dpi, but how does that compare to the 72 pixles per inch that photoshop sets the pics at.

If anyone can shed some light in my ingnorance :roll: here I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks

FP
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 4:05 AM   #7

Default Re: Printing help...

While others have given you advice that will get to the same end, here is another way to test your system.

Get to image/resize in the menu system. Make sure that the resampling boxes are not checked. Change the resolution to 300 or 360 something like that (not less than 180). You will note that the image is automatically resized at that point. Now save a copy of the image and print it. I'll bet you get a good print (albeit smaller).

The reason you need to do this is that 72 is the standard resolution for viewing on a monitor. Your camera sends the image in a format designed for use on a monitor (not all do -- my Nikon D100 sends the image with the resolution set to 300). That gives you a very large, low resolution image. When you want to print, you need to change the resolution to something that will give you a good print.

Once you have changed the resolution, you may find that your print is too small for the print you want to make. If so, go back into image/resize, check the resample box (specify bicubic) and now resize the image by changing the width or the height. Photoshop will resample the image so that you have a larger image with the higher resolution you specified before.

I hope this helps!

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPoint
Ok "I Can't Print"!

Thanks

FP
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote