Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2003, 3:30 PM   #1

Default Print Head Cleaning

I have an Epson 740 printer which is always needing a head clean. In fact almost every day. Often it needs 4 or 5 cleans before I can use it.
How can I get at the heads to clean them manually or is there a cleaner cartridge available somewhere.
I have found some cleamer cartridges for other models but none for this one.
The printer prints perfectly otherwise.

Thanks in anticipation. Tink.
Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 4:39 PM   #2
Administrator

I hope someone responds with some ink suggestions for you. Maybe there is a solution.

My Epson 780 always had problems. If you let it sit for too long without printing, I'd have to go through multiple cleaning cycles to make it usable for photos. Frequent head alignment was always a must, too.

My solution?

I bought an HP Photosmart 1215 (outdated now). I've NEVER had a clogged head yet, and the only time it needs alignment is when I put in new cartridges.

On the down side, the HP consumables costs are higher (but, you get new heads everytime you replace the ink cartridges, and it NEVER clogs -- at least mine never has -- even if left sitting for weeks without printing).

The HP's auto paper type sensor, and auto alignment when you put in a new cartridge, is pretty neat too (uses a laser).

Good Luck finding a solution.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 4:46 PM   #3

I owned the Epson 900 and the printer had the same problems. I do not know if the newere Epsons are engineer better. I once took the printer apart and cleaned the heads with qtips and alcohol and within a couple weeks I was back to the same problem. I also switched to the HP product because of this problem. I know that the newer canon printers come with user install printheads so that you can clean them or replace them. I am waiting for the Canon i960 to come to a local store so that I can try it out.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:03 PM   #4

Take a used print cartridge that's just emptied (not been left with dried ink!) and fill it with Iso-propyl alcohol using a hypodermic syringe. I keep an alcohol filled tri-colour for my Epson which frequently clogs as I don't use it a lot.

Run the print head clean routine a few times with the alcohol cartridge, then replace with the tri-colour and repeat the auto clean to get the ink running, then do the jet print test. If you have the sort with the print head and cartridge together, wipe the alcohol across the head with a tissue. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:06 PM   #5

I have the same problem with my Epson 785XP. Never had the problem with my old HP. HP you change the print head each time you change cartrige. Not so with Epson....like my Epson though..
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Take a used print cartridge that's just emptied (not been left with dried ink!) and fill it with Iso-propyl alcohol using a hypodermic syringe. I keep an alcohol filled tri-colour for my Epson which frequently clogs as I don't use it a lot.

Run the print head clean routine a few times with the alcohol cartridge, then replace with the tri-colour and repeat the auto clean to get the ink running, then do the jet print test. If you have the sort with the print head and cartridge together, wipe the alcohol across the head with a tissue. VOX
Windex works beter than alcohol. I originally heard about using windex from epson users but it works with canons too. You can also use it to revive disposable hp and lexmark carts sometimes if you refill.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:17 PM   #7
Administrator

P.S. -- when I say I "bought an HP", that's really on part of the story.

The Epson finally ended up with a constant jamming problem, too. Fortunately, I had the extended warranty at Best Buy (only one I've ever purchased).

This time, it more than paid for itself.

I brought the Epson back to Best Buy (after giving up on fixing the jamming problem). I expected to be without a printer, while they figured out where to send it for service.

To my pleasant surprise, they told me that the Epson 780 was no longer considered serviceable under my Best Buy Extended Warranty. They then allowed me to apply the full original purchase price of my Epson 780 towards any other printer in the store.

I went with the HP, and have been glad ever since. Given the amount of ink and paper I used to waste with the Epson (cleaning cycles, alignment), I'm not even sure if the HP really costs more to run.

Although, I may also try a Canon next time around -- I want a "large format" printer, capable of greater than 8x10" prints, and the new Canons look promising (and very fast, according to the reviews here at steves-digicams.com).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:22 PM   #8

......Windex works beter than alcohol.......... What's this?

The reason I use IsoPropyl, is the last time I bought some ink, I also bought a small bottle of proprietary cleaner fluid, it smelt like IsoPropyl with a dash of cherry coloured branding and was inflammable!
Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:36 PM   #9

Sorry, didn't notice that you were in the UK. Here is a thread that answers that question.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6279495
It's basically water, ammonia and alcohol.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 6:02 PM   #10

Thanks - it would seem there's a lot of discussion as to what Windex actually is. It's amazing what people will try and stuff in their print heads! Seems the DIY make your own is Ammonia and soap based - pretty aggressive stuff! I think I'll stick with the Eco friendly alcohol - but thanks for the enlightenment. VOX