Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:15 PM   #1

I have searched high & low...I have almost made it to the end of the internet. I can not find an adapter tube for my alpha a100. I bought filters and can not use them.

Can ony one lead me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Jeff
bigw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:35 PM   #2

Welcome to Steve's Forums.

The Sony A100 uses interchangeable lenses, each of which might use a different size filter, and most of which use a screw on filter mounted onto the end of the lens.

For instance, the Sony AF DT 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens uses 55mm diameter filters. If the filters you have are larger than 55mm in diameter, you can use a Step-Up Adapter Ring (like this: http://www.adorama.com/FLU5562.html), and if the filters you have are smaller than 55mm, you can use a Step-Down Adapter Ring (like this: http://www.adorama.com/FLD5548.html).

Using step-down adapter rings can (and almost certainly will) introduce vignetting, so you should be very careful about using these.

What filters did you buy?

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast response!!

I should start out with my current lens. I am using the "stock" lens that came with the camera. Its a sony 3.5-6.3/18-200mm. That lens has female threads. I bought a cheap 3-pack filter kit from a company called zeikos (through amazon). They are 55mm and when ordering them, I selected my camera make/model & 55mm filters where what they sent me.

I will need some sorta adapter that is threaded male on both sides. One side to fitthe 55mm filters and one side to fitin the end of my current lens.

I am also assuming when i purchase other lens (in the futer i plan to purchase a minolta f/1.7) i will need a different adapter ring.

Thanks again
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:22 PM   #4

This is the lens that I have

This lens has a 62mm filter diameter. So, to answer my question, I would need a 62 to 55mm adapter ring? Does that sound about right?

Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:01 PM   #5

Jeff, ideally, yourfilter should first screw into the lens, which in your case, is 62mm. Then when you buy an additional lens, you would buy an adapter that would step up from the new lens size(49mm,52mm,55mm,etc.) to the 62mm size of your filter diameter. If you do this in reverse, with a step-down adapter, you run the risk of vignetting, as TCav said. In other words, it's better to buy a larger filter and adapt it to a smaller lens, than the reverse. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:27 AM   #6

I second what Hawgwild said.

When you told Zeikos you had a Sony A100, they presumed you had the standard18-70mm kit lens and sent the filters that would fit it.

Almost all filtershave a male thread on one side and a female thread on the other., and both threads are the same size.That would permit you to mount a filter to a lens, and then stack another filter onto the first filter. What you would need is an adapter ring that has a 62mm male thread (so it can be attached to your lens) and a 55mm female thread (so your filters can be attached to it.)

This is a bad idea. The adapter ring would constrict the light path such that, at wide angles, you would experience severe vignetting.

I would also like to say that "cheap" filters are not a good idea. They add optical elements to an already complex optical system, and if they are not good quality filters, they can distort both the path and the color of the light entering the lens.

I suggest you consider this a learning experience, throw away the cheap filter set, and buy a good 62mm UV, Skylight, or Lens Protection filter, plus whatever else you need.

What else do you need?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:55 AM   #7

I appreciate the fast responses. I am slowly learning more & more. I love taking pictures and i am trying to figure out what my needs are and what works for mebefore I spend too much money.

I saw some pics where the photographer used a couple different filterson the same subject. I liked the way the pics turned out when filters were used. I thought I could spend a couple of bucks and see if I liked what I was getting. But I get what I pay for.

You guys are good!!!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:20 AM   #8

bigw00dy wrote:
Quote:
I saw some pics where the photographer used a couple different filterson the same subject. I liked the way the pics turned out when filters were used.
What filters were used?

What effect were you after?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:58 AM   #9

Honestly, I dont really know. Just gonna do some experiments.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:06 AM   #10

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter