Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:38 AM   #1

I have to resize EVERY photo that I take in order to print 4" x 6" photos. In looking at the specs, I see that the camera isn't capable of 3264 x 2176 resolution. Who would have thought that such a popular resolution would be ommitted from this camera. I would think that there would be numerous complaints about this glaring ommission but there isn't. What am I missing?
retiredrhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:27 AM   #2

Not sure I understand your complaint...or is it two? I'm not aware of any camera that offers a 3264 x 2176 resolution...why do you think that's popular? Most P&S digicams only offer a 4:3 image ratio, because that is the width to height ratio of their sensor. Your camera happens to offer 3:2 aspect as well as 4:3, but not at a 7 MP resolution. You have a 12 MP camera - why would you want to take 7 MP pictures?

And why do you think you have to resize every pic to print at 4x6"? I don't understand...

Now I have a complaint - when you post in white font, I can't see it in my browser unless I highlight the text first...very annoying.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:04 AM   #3

I want to print 4" x 6" photos without re-sizing but this camera doesn't appear to have a resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio that allows me to do that. Please only reply if you have a resolution to this problem. Thank You.

Sorry about the white font but my screen is black at this web site.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:18 PM   #4

"Please only reply if you have a resolution to this problem. Thank You. "

Yeah, right!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:30 PM   #5

retiredrhb wrote:
Quote:
I have to resize EVERY photo that I take in order to print 4" x 6" photos. In looking at the specs, I see that the camera isn't capable of 3264 x 2176 resolution. Who would have thought that such a popular resolution would be ommitted from this camera. I would think that there would be numerous complaints about this glaring ommission but there isn't. What am I missing?

From Steve's reviews specs page.

Number of Recording Pixels (Still Images)
4,000 x 3,000 (Large)
3,264 x 2,448 (Medium 1)
2,592 x 1,944 (Medium 2)
1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3)
640 x 480 (Small)
4,000 x 2,248 (Widescreen

What you mean, I believe, is that you have to CROP you pictures to print them at 4x6". This is pretty normal when using a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor and printing at a 3:2 aspect ratio. If you didn't research this prior to purchasing the camera, you shouldn't blame the manufacturer.

You should have gotten software with your camera which will easily allow you to crop and print. If that is too much trouble, perhaps you could return the camera or trade it for something that suits you better.

brian

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:55 PM   #6

You have a camera that has an image sensor with an aspect ratio of 4:3, and you want to print your photos with an aspect ratio of 3:2.

You don't have to resize them. If you print them the way they are, the printer can automatically crop the top and bottom a little. If you want the image cropped in some other way, then you have to resize the image yourself.

Image sensors with an aspect ratio of 4:3 are standard on P&S Digicams. That's the size commonly used in camcorders (the first common devices to use digital image sensors) because that was the standard aspect ratio of televisions. That, of course, is changing, but 4:3 aspect ratio image sensors are still quite common, and other aspect ratio images (16:9 for instance)are created by cropping from the original 4:3 image. If you absolutely, positively must have a digital camera with a 3:2 aspect ratio image sensor, most dSLRs have 3:2 image sensors. That's because 35mm film cameras create film exposures 36mm by 24mm (a 3:2 aspect ratio). And, btw, that's where 4" x 6" prints originated: from the old days of film. Before 4" x 6" prints, thone of the popular choices was 4" x 5.25" prints, which more closely approximates a 4:3 aspect ratio, but this was in the days of 35mm 3:2 aspect ratio negatives. Photo labs would print the 3:2 image onto a 4:3 print by cropping the left and right sides.

So, as you can plainly see, the rest of the world is, and has always been, much more adaptable.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:50 AM   #7

<<<If you didn't research this prior to purchasing the camera, you shouldn't blame the manufacturer.>>>

Yes, I should have researched this aspect of the camera but who would have thought that 3:2 aspect ratio would be left out. Canon now has lost a sale from me and from others whowant this capability. I've noticed, from various forums, thatmanythink that all cameras are this way. That is not true as I've already discovered. My sister-in-law does have a Canon model with 3:2 aspect ratio. The is no law that says Canon can not create a higher resolution than 3264 x 2176 with a 3:2 aspect ratio. Duh. It is a PAIN in the neck to have to crop every photo that I take which makes this camera more trouble than it is worth. Its supposed to be point and shoot and not point, shoot and crop......lol.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:13 AM   #8

retiredrhb wrote:
Quote:
Its supposed to be point and shoot and not point, shoot and crop......lol.
Ummm, it is a Point-N-Shoot, not a Point-N-Print.

If you want to do that, look into the new Polaroid PoGo Instant digicam

And, as said before, you don't have to Crop every photo. You can print right from the camera with any Pictbridge compactiable printer, and the printer will automatically crop the image to fit properly on a 4x6. You should only have to crop an image manually if you are afraid it will take the top off of someone's head, etc.

Good luck either way, the SD950 is a Great consumer model.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote