Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:54 PM   #11

As a viewer of pictures, Imagestation is the WORST! For instance, if the poster posts a direct link to one of the photo pages in a message and you click on it, instead you are taken to a page saying that you have to be a member to view that page...instead you have to look through the whole album page by page.

As well, you can't just post a link to your album, you have to send out an "invitation" from Imagestation where they have in the message...there is an option for posting a link, but it's a special link which sends the user to a special page because they aren't a member.

You can't just think about these sites from the poster's perspective...you have to try these sites first as a viewer. My favorite (as a viewer and a poster) is Pbase...I love the fact it remembers the last size I viewed pictures at.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I use Pbase.com and Photoaccess.com (free unlimited storage).

Pbase.com offers a lot of flexibility (style sheets, direct linking, personal forum for your albums, guestbook, etc.), and the prices are cheap ($23.00/year for 100mb, with unlimited bandwidth). They also don't charge extra space for all of the viewing sizes (users can view your photos as small, medium, large, or original).

I use them, as well as Photoaccess.com

PHotoaccess makes their money by users ordering prints. However, they do offer free, unlimited album space.

Also, unlike some services (like imagestation, etc.), your guests don't have to Join to see your albums.

So, I keep the albums on both. One of the benfits to an album on Photoaccess.com is when you take photos at family gatherings, parties, etc. Users can both view the photos, and order prints (without you needing to try and print extra copies for them). Works great, and it's free for you.

The downside of Photoaccess.com, is that users cannot download the original size photos (although Photoaccess.com uses the original images when they order prints). So, I use Pbase.com, too (so users with printers can download the originals, and print their own if desired).

Here's an example of an album on Pbase.com:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

Here's the same album on Photoacccess.com:

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...DF528687&cb=PA

Another great feature with Photoaccess.com is their available "Digital Size Prints" (NO CROPPING).... Great feature, at reasonable print prices, too.
Hi Jim,

Yes, as I mentioned in my comment, pbase.com offer the rich feature sets compare to other service providers. fotop.net offer similar features e.g. zip file upload, direct link, etc and in fact I think that they reference all features of pbase.com to build their services.

imagestation.com is not flexible as compare to others. One of the major reason is it is free for unlimited usage. It means that it must have some other ways to get revenue. photoaccess.com will be better than imagestation.com but I think it cannot compare to fee-based services provider like pbase.com or fotop.net
hk_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:10 PM   #13

Hi Eric,

Yes the features offered by these services providers are different. My general comment is that pbase.com offer many useful features compare to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Other features which should be considered (at least I think so)

Easy of uploading. I believe that pbase allows you upload a singe zip file which is uncompressed and turned into the album. Sounds much easier than ftp'ing each file. I have no idea how others do it.
pbase.com, fotop.net - yes, imagestation - no

Quote:
Does it allow galleries within galleries? Means you can have better organization.

Quote:
Does it allow direct linking to the pictures? You need this to post pictures directly into forums. If it does, does it modify the picture in any way? pbase allows it and does nothing to the picture (in fact, you can link to any of the sizes that it automatically generates!) There is a free one which allows direct linking to pictures but it puts their name on the bottom (a little ad.)

Quote:
How many different layouts of galleries does it allow? Some are limited, some allow many (pbase seems to have tons.)
pbase.com offer the best layout tool

Quote:
These are ones which others have mentioned.

Are the alternate sizes of the pictures charged against your alloted disk space? pbase used to do this, now they do not.

Can you order prints from them. This doesn't matter to me, but for people taking family pictures with distant relatives, this could be really nice. Post the pics of the kids 2nd birthday party, then the grandparents can order prints easily.

I had started to look into album hosting sites when I was offered some free space of my own.... so I didn't get very far. But these were some of the questions I was thinking of asking.

Eric
For other services e.g. order print, imagestation.com offer more compare to pbase.com and fotop.net
Old Oct 22, 2003, 7:00 PM   #14

JimC

Are the printed output from photoaccess good? Do you know what printer they use? Are they timly about delivery?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 7:42 PM   #15
Administrator

Eric:

Some friends and relatives have ordered from some of my albums there, and the print quality was great (I've seen some of the prints). They're using Fuji Frontier (as are most processors) I assume (since it's Fuji Crystal Paper)

I didn't pay attention to the delivery time (never asked them).

I like them, since it gives me a way to post albums of family gatherings, birthday parties, etc., so that friends/relatives can order prints directly if they want them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 7:45 PM   #16
Administrator

P.S. -- I always tell friends/relatives to order "digital size" prints (since some of my photos are framed pretty close, and cropping could cut off heads, etc.). Their digital size prints don't crop.

They also offer inkjet posters in very large sizes (up to 36" x 48"), on a variety of paper types, but I don't know anyone that's tried them.

P.S. -- I probably ought to order some prints from there. We printed and framed a bunch of 8x10"'s for Christmas presents about two years ago, and I'm getting complaints about some of them being faded already (from my home printer).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:34 AM   #17

JimC

Thanks for the info. I have heard good things about the Fuji Frontier printer. I believe (if you care) you can get a color profile for that printer. It would probably mean you have to upload two copies of the picture (one for screen viewing and one for printing) but it would probably make even better print copies.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 2:53 AM   #18

Based on my initial trial on 5 online photo gallery services providers www.pbase.com, www.fotop.net, www.fotopic.net, www.fotki.com, www.imagestation.com), I summarized the comparison result as follows:

http://www.tonyleung.com/gallery.htm

The trial is based on my limited understandings of the services provided. Please comment if there are some typos or mistakes.

I excluded some other service providers which focus more on order printing e.g. www.photoaccess.com, etc. It does not mean that their services not OK but just not my main purpose.

Thanks!