Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2003, 8:28 AM   #1

Default Online photo gallery comparison

Hi all,

Recently I compared 3 common online photo galleries site and I would like to share my comment and also seek yours.

These 3 galleries site are:
- http://www.pbase.com ( I think it is the most popular one)
- http://www.fotop.net (HK based site)
- http://www.imagestation.com (backup by Sony)

I compared those services from the following point of views:

1. Feature

pbase.com is most feature rich because of its long time establishment. fotop.net is catching up fast and many features are similar to pbase.com.

Sony's imagestation.com does not offer many advanced features. But one of the most useful feature is browsing by category/subcategory

2. Pricing
For pricing, imagestation.com is free of charge for unlimited storage.

pbase.com charges US$60 for 300M per year, free trial account available

fotop.net charges US$16 for 500M per year, free trial account available. It also offer unlimited storage services for US$13 per year but limit to 1024x1024 resolution only

So imagestation.com > fotop.net > pbase.com

3. Speed

Based on my HK ISP actual performnace, pbase.com and fotop.net is similar in loading speed.

imagestation.com is slower

4. Risk

Compare to imagestation.com which is backup by Sony, pbase.com and fotop.net is run by small team. However I thin this factor is not that important if you are for personal use only

5. Other value-added services

Sony offer many value-added services such as online printing. Other 2 service provider purely provide online photo gallery only.

It may not easy to say that which one is the best. However as they offer free trial account, maybe you can try all of them before making final decision.
hk_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:40 AM   #2

I gave pbase their standard $27 donation before they went to a pay service and havenít come up for renewal. I appreciate your research and will give Imagestation a try. If pbase bills me for $60 and I can get by on Imagestation I will change.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:49 AM   #3

pbase.com has a $23 year charge for 100mb of storage. I find that this amount of storage is adequate for most users.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:20 AM   #4
kex

why didn't you include fotopic.net into your copmarison?
I think it's a really good free service. They provide 250 MB or even more - all for free, and you can build your own layout with banner and so on.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:35 AM   #5

I tried ImageStation and they are inappropriate for online albums. They just display a smallish image no matter what size you upload. I appears to be about 400 X 600.

It might be a good choice for people who want to link their photos. If you donít mind my hijacking your thread for a test Iíll try linking one of the images.

Well that didnít work. Iíll try again.

Not having much luck. Iíll try Fotop and Fotopic.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:42 AM   #6

kex

Thanks I will check out the site you mentioned.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:22 AM   #7
Administrator

I use Pbase.com and Photoaccess.com (free unlimited storage).

Pbase.com offers a lot of flexibility (style sheets, direct linking, personal forum for your albums, guestbook, etc.), and the prices are cheap ($23.00/year for 100mb, with unlimited bandwidth). They also don't charge extra space for all of the viewing sizes (users can view your photos as small, medium, large, or original).

I use them, as well as Photoaccess.com

PHotoaccess makes their money by users ordering prints. However, they do offer free, unlimited album space.

Also, unlike some services (like imagestation, etc.), your guests don't have to Join to see your albums.

So, I keep the albums on both. One of the benfits to an album on Photoaccess.com is when you take photos at family gatherings, parties, etc. Users can both view the photos, and order prints (without you needing to try and print extra copies for them). Works great, and it's free for you.

The downside of Photoaccess.com, is that users cannot download the original size photos (although Photoaccess.com uses the original images when they order prints). So, I use Pbase.com, too (so users with printers can download the originals, and print their own if desired).

Here's an example of an album on Pbase.com:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

Here's the same album on Photoacccess.com:

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...DF528687&cb=PA

Another great feature with Photoaccess.com is their available "Digital Size Prints" (NO CROPPING).... Great feature, at reasonable print prices, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
why didn't you include fotopic.net into your copmarison?
I think it's a really good free service. They provide 250 MB or even more - all for free, and you can build your own layout with banner and so on.
Hi Kex,

I also have fotopic.net account for trial. But its access speed in HK is a little bit slow compare to other service providers.
hk_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:48 AM   #9

Other features which should be considered (at least I think so)

Easy of uploading. I believe that pbase allows you upload a singe zip file which is uncompressed and turned into the album. Sounds much easier than ftp'ing each file. I have no idea how others do it.

Does it allow galleries within galleries? Means you can have better organization.

Does it allow direct linking to the pictures? You need this to post pictures directly into forums. If it does, does it modify the picture in any way? pbase allows it and does nothing to the picture (in fact, you can link to any of the sizes that it automatically generates!) There is a free one which allows direct linking to pictures but it puts their name on the bottom (a little ad.)

How many different layouts of galleries does it allow? Some are limited, some allow many (pbase seems to have tons.)

These are ones which others have mentioned.

Are the alternate sizes of the pictures charged against your alloted disk space? pbase used to do this, now they do not.

Can you order prints from them. This doesn't matter to me, but for people taking family pictures with distant relatives, this could be really nice. Post the pics of the kids 2nd birthday party, then the grandparents can order prints easily.

I had started to look into album hosting sites when I was offered some free space of my own.... so I didn't get very far. But these were some of the questions I was thinking of asking.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:56 AM   #10
Administrator

Eric:

You hit on many of the reasons I chose both pbase.com and photoaccess.com

Pbase.com: very flexible, uploading of all images for an album in a single .zip file, no extra charge for other viewing sizes, direct linking to any size image, very flexible style sheets, etc.

Photoaccess.com: not as flexible, but they have a software package known as "Photostreamer" that lets you create the album locally, then it automatically uploads the images -- setting the parameters you specify for the album (security for view, print, copy; whether or not the album is public, etc.). The digital print sizes feature is also nice for family members that want to print images from parties, family gatherings, etc., so you don't have to worry about cropping.

These two meet my needs. I create the albums as desired locally, then create a .zip for pbase, and let the Photostreamer software upload the same pics to photoaccess.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote