Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:03 AM   #1

Default Dis or Dat

Hi Guys I'm looking at two Olympus Digital cameras. Model C-4000 which is 4.1 Megapixel and the C-3020 which is 3.3 Megapixel. These two cameras are almost identical expect for the Pixels. The C-4000 is about $100 more. Is it worth the $100 for the extra pixels. The camera will be used for family pictures and printed on a Canon I950 printer. Thanks Frank
vanmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:35 AM   #2

The best 8 X 10 crop you can get from the 3020Z is about 190PPI. That will give excellent quality if you donít have to crop. Oly optical finders typically show about 85% of the image in the viewfinder, so if you frame perfectly with the viewfinder you will get about 160PPI which is still quite good. That goes down to about 150PPI if you want to print an 8.5 X 11. On my Canon S9000 I can see improvement up to about 180PPI and your i950 has a little better resolution. But 150 PPI looks good in print and I usually donít upsample unless I go below 150.

You will often find you donít frame perfectly even within the optical finder and you have to crop more. Now you are getting to the point where you might lose a little print quality, but nothing you will notice that much unless you crop a lot. If the other features suit you I wouldnít think you will see much difference in the print quality. And even then only if you crop a good bit and look very closely at the print.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:55 AM   #3

Are both cameras new, refurb, or used? I would prefer a new camera with full waranty over the used or refurb. The C4000 and C3020 are built on the same Olympus technology with the c4000 having some minor improvements and 1 more mp. Either camera should provide you with the quality you are looking at.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the input 3620. I'm considering Olympus refurbished for the C3020 as it is almost half the price. The C4000 is much less a bargain, less than $100 cheaper. The reason for that I believe is that there is much more interest in the C4000. Well, the wife is the picture taker and she does a lot, a lot of croping, so the C4000 may be the better choice. CYA
vanmol is offline   Reply With Quote