Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:46 PM   #1

I've gone through MULTIPLE cameras, computers, hard drives etc, and during transfer/consolidation/etc process, I've discovered I accidentally erased A LOT of important pictures.

No, recovering them is not an option. It's something I've done a long time ago.

Sometimes I'll end up same file names, such as DCIM0001 and apparently, duplicate file finding softwares saw them as same files and erased one of them. Did that to a bunch of pics.

I'm thinking about going old school. Each card gets screened for obviously useless pics, delete,then keep a copy on PC, burn onto CDs and into file cabinet. I didn't recover everything, but thankfully I got some back doing this.

How do you guys manage pictures to make sure you don't lose 'em?
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:00 PM   #2

I store my photos on a three disk RAID-5 Array with a hot spare ina Windows 2003 Server that is backed up to tape weekly, and every month I place a new backup tapein a safe deposit box.

But that's just me. I just happen to have all that stuff for my business anyway, so I take advantage of it for my personal stuff as well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:05 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I store my photos on a three disk RAID-5 Array with a hot spare ina Windows 2003 Server that is backed up to tape weekly, and every month I place a new backup tapein a safe deposit box.

But that's just me. I just happen to have all that stuff for my business anyway, so I take advantage of it for my personal stuff as well.
What about when tape system becomes obsolete? I think CD is about the only thing that hasn't become obsolete in 10 years. Well... 10 years ago, CD-R was not cheap, so people commonly used obsolete technology like Zip.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:40 PM   #4

I probably don't take as many photos as most people seem to with digital, so my needs aren't too elaborate. I have, since the beginning, used year,month, date to file pictures, and have added keywords to make it easier to search them.

I use the same file system for backing up - depending on how much is in a particular time frame, I back up to DVD, and after serious cullling, can sometimes fit a years' worth of photos on a DVD. Also have a second hard drive dedicated to pictures.

I did have a hard drive fail, and lost a few pics that I hadn't backed up, but nobody died from it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5

Itsme000 wrote:

"What about when tape system becomes obsolete? I think CD is about the only thing that hasn't become obsolete in 10 years. Well... 10 years ago, CD-R was not cheap, so people commonly used obsolete technology like Zip."

You just hit thenail on the head. Since we quit using film and went to digital, we have come to realize that with every convenience there is a price. Where film went virtually unchanged for multiple decades, andnegatives could be stored and re-used to make prints thirty, forty, etc. years later, I'm afraid digital images are at much more risk. The hardware, software, and storage media tend to change far too rapidly. I think the only answer is to store your images in as many different way as reasonable for you. Personally, I have an external hard drive, DVD's and a Flickr account which allows me to upload my images at full resolution, so if my hard drive crashes, I have my images in at least two other places. If my house burns down, I have Flickr.How much you do to protect your images depends on your own personal feelings on the subject, but at the very least, put them on a CD-r or DVD-r. The cost of doing this can't be compared with the emotional cost of permanently losing irreplaceable pictures of moments frozen in time.

Robert

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:39 AM   #6

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:

What about when tape system becomes obsolete? I think CD is about the only thing that hasn't become obsolete in 10 years. Well... 10 years ago, CD-R was not cheap, so people commonly used obsolete technology like Zip.
Tape has been around much longer than Cd's. Many business still use tape backups for their servers and will likely continue doing so. It is slow, but it holds alot of data and is less likely to degrade as rapidly as cd's over the long haul.

I happen to use dual layer DVD's for offsite backup as well as smugmug for my really important stuff. I've also got two large external harddrives that I use for immediate backups and I rotate these on a weekly basis.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:32 AM   #7

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
What about when tape system becomes obsolete?
DAT Tape drives have been around for over 20 years, and every few years, the capacities of DAT Tapes had doubled, but the currrent drives can still read the old tapes. And backups are not archival; if I need to switch tape drives (to LTO, for example) I will replace all my existing DAT tapes with tapes for the new drive.

Backups are for recovering from mistakes (accidental deletions or modifications) and catastrophies (drive failures, fires. thefts, etc.) Archives are to preserve something for posterity, and CDs don't do that either.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:45 AM   #8

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Tape has been around much longer than Cd's. Many business still use tape backups for their servers and will likely continue doing so. It is slow, ...
Slow? Not so much. I set up a client with LTO Tape Drives. They backup and verify120GB in less than two hours!

Try doing that with CDs.

The problem with Tape is that, while the cost per megabyte for the media is low, the cost for the drive is high (several hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on speed and capacity.)
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:52 AM   #9

The most important part of backing up is restoring. If you can't restore from a backup, then you've just been wasting your time and money. I have seen this happen a number of times when a company called me to restore something they thought they were backing up but weren't.

Multiple backup methods are a good idea, and people here have provided examples of how that might be done.

There are lots of ways to back up. I recommend all of them.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:52 PM   #10

It is a good idea to test your disaster recovery plan from time to time.

I use Microsoft SyncToy to "echo" my photo directory to external USB hard drives. I also put copies of the photos on my Linux file server so the family can see them. Once a year I burn DVD snapshot.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote