Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:11 PM   #11

No further comment.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:14 AM   #12
Administrator

If you don't need a lot of internal expandability (drive bays, power supply capable of high end graphics cards, etc.), Dell has some pretty good deals on their new XPS Studio models with the Core i7 CPU.

You can get one with the Core i7 920 CPU, 6GB of tri-channel DDR3 memory, 64 Bit Vista, a 640GB SATA drive, double layer DVD Burner, 2 year warranty and more for about $1K now. Here's one deal I found (I think it's supposed to be good until February 5).

Dell Studio XPS for $999 after $299 instant savings

You'll find more configurations on this page at Dell:

Dell Studio XPS packages

Note that the Studio XPS is not really suitable if you want more than a couple of internal hard drives (it's got two internal 3.5" bays, one external 3.5" bay normally used for their optional card readers, and two external 5 1/4" bays, normally used for CD/DVD type drives. Note that it's equipped with USB, Firewire and eSATA ports that you could use for external drives.

If you want a model with more expandability (larger power supply, more drive bays, etc.), you'd need to move up to a more expensive box with Dell.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:07 AM   #13
Administrator

It looks like Microcenter has an even better deal on one of these right now (XPS Studio with Core i7 CPU). Compared to the other $999 deal, this one includes a larger 750GB Drive, a better graphics card and a card reader.

http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0303045

Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:10 PM   #14

Thanks Jim. I'm (for better or worse) planning on building my machine from the ground up. Getting a prebuilt one would be less expensive, but I *really* want to know exactly what goes in it, I am planning on using a case that will last me "forever"

Joe

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It looks like Microcenter has an even better deal on one of these right now (XPS Studio with Core i7 CPU). Compared to the other $999 deal, this one includes a larger 750GB Drive, a better graphics card and a card reader.

http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0303045
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Administrator

I used to build my own for the most part. But, the last few PCs I've bought (other than a little Eee PC) were purchased in refurbished condition from Dell Outlet. I got them for less than I could build my own for after coupon codes for more discounts (which come out pretty often on coupon sites). For example, I've got a Dimension 8300 (still being used) with an Intel 3ghz P4 (Prescott) CPU. I bought it in refurbished condition from Dell Outlet about 4 years ago for only $479 after coupon codes for additional discounts. It was a well equipped box for it's time, with XP Pro, an Nvidia Graphics card, MS Office and more.

You can usually save a lot of money if you don't buy a model using the "latest and greatest" CPU, while still upgrading your performance significantly from an older machine. For example, I bought a Dell Inspiron 530 last year in refurbished condition from Dell Outlet for just under $400 after coupon codes for additional discounts. This one came with an Intel 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad w/8MB L2 Cache (Q6600), dual 320GB 7200rpm SATA drives, Vista Home Premium, DVD writer with dbl. layer ability, optional 56K FAX/Modem, optional front panel card reader and more.

So, I've spent less than $1k on my last two desktops combined by going refurbished (and waiting for coupon codes for additional discounts at Dell Outlet). Just search for Dell Outlet Coupons using Google and you'll find lots of sites with current coupon codes. Keep checking back, and they'll probably offer one that covers a model you're interested in at some point if you're not in a big hurry. They have new offers relatively often.

We also bought a refurbished laptop (Inspiron 1720) from Dell Outlet in Dec. 2007. It's running just fine, too. My wife uses it and runs mostly SimplyMEPIS, a Linux distro. Vista is also on it (it's setup in a dual boot config). But, we rarely use Vista.. All 3 refurbished machines (Dell Dimension 8300 desktop, Inspiron 530 desktop, Inspiron 1720 Laptop) arrived in like new condition (I couldn't tell them from new machines). Since refurbished PCs from Dell have the same warranties as new machines, I don't mind going that way to save a few bucks. ;-)

Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Administrator

If you want to build your own, I'd suggest looking at http://www.newegg.com

I buy most of my PC related components there (drives, ram, etc.). They have good prices on memory cards, too.

Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:56 PM   #17

Thanks Jim. I look at Newegg practically every day looking to see if they have what I need on special. I have a few things so far.

Joe

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you want to build your own, I'd suggest looking at http://www.newegg.com

I buy most of my PC related components there (drives, ram, etc.). They have good prices on memory cards, too.
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:24 AM   #18

1. GPU accel - benefits not too much[maybe some patch needed.
2. turned off by default.

simialr feats awaited in 2.4 version of LR and 8 of Elements.

SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:30 AM   #19

I got new computer for Lightrom for $541.00, not the fastest, but was cheap.I will replacing my 6 yearemachine.It's refurbish Hp Pavalion Elite 9417C. It was so much cheaper than building one. Here are the specs

[*]
HP Pavilion Elite m9417c Desktop,Phenom-9150e 1.8GHz, 6GB,1TB,16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive, Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface, Memory card reader, Keyboard and mouse, Windows Vista Home Premium,[/b][/b]
[/b]

[/*]
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote