Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2003, 4:42 PM   #1

Default Got some lenses and stuff on ebay... did I get a good deal?

I have a Oly C-5050 and ended up getting this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2958124187

I'm thinking I got ripped now that I think about it so I'm asking you guys?

EDIT: I just called them and they said that they were 52 mm (or was it 54mm).

Anyways, did I get a fair deal?

Thanks,
Joe
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 5:22 PM   #2

It's a lot of stuff, but you get what you pay for...Crystal Optics aren't exactly the best quality, but they may be enough for you. Of course if you want something better later, at least you have some experience of what the lenses do.

Did you get ripped off, no.
Did you buy something cheap, depends.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 5:30 PM   #3

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

What about the telephoto and zoom lens? What kind of quality are those?

Also, Are Crystal Optics in the middle ground area for quality?

Thanks again for the reply,
Joe
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:45 PM   #4

Default Digital Optics

I believe what you bought were Digital Optics lenses. I had been looking at the same lenses but I enquired here before I bought them. I am glad I did. Here is that thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=14363
sir_snaps-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 1:37 PM   #5

Both lenses, the lens adapter, the cleaning kit, and often a mini tripod are sold on ebay by many sellers for around 70-90$. The filter kit sells for under 30$ and you can get beter filters for close to the same price. I actually have that tripod. I paid 20$ for it at wallmart. They are probably very cheap camera bags. I wouldn't value them at more than 20$.
Did you get a good price? Not really, but you didn't get screwed really bad either. The stuff you got is all cheap so quality won't be the best but it will probably all work. The 700$ sugested retail is the funniest thing that I have ever heard. You would have been beter off spending a little more money for something beter though. If it were me I would try to sell the lenses and filters and keep the rest of the stuff or just chalk it up to experience. The camera bags are probably cheap but will work fine. My most expensive camera bag was 13$ (it's a really nice bag for 13$). The tripod is cheap but works just fine. The lenses and filters unfortunatlly (most of the cost of the package) are pretty poor quality. You will just have to try them and see if you can live with the quality or not (fyi the telephoto will be more like 1.5x actual power so dont think a beter tele will have the same magnification, it will be beter).
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 5:03 PM   #6

Thanks Richard,

Well, most everyone has a tale about not doing research on ebay and now I have one.

I'm going to keep the tripod and maybe the cases and sell the rest of the stuff back on ebay.

I did get a Raynox PLP-300 Polarizer Filter Kit from BugEyeDigital.com. I spent 3 hours looking online and people liked Raynox so I gave them a try. I put that steves digicams refered me to support the site. Raynox's site had pics of what the filter does and I hope to get good use out of it.

So, howmuch should I ask for on ebay for the cleaning kit, filters and 2 leneses?

Man, I feel stupid for not researching it.

Does Raynox make a UV filter? I didn't see one on their site.

Thanks a bunch for the replys.

sir_snaps-a-lot - thanks for the links... I can tell they are bad quality and blurry. again thanks for the links.

FRom,
Joe
Old Oct 25, 2003, 6:04 PM   #7

Default Re: Got some lenses and stuff on ebay... did I get a good de

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoeing
I have a Oly C-5050 and ended up getting this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2958124187

I'm thinking I got ripped now that I think about it so I'm asking you guys?
I have a couple of Digital Optics Titanium tele and wide converters for testing purpose. Quality wise, the tele converters that I have are not up to the claimed power (i.e., the 2X is less than 2X) and all wide angle converters exhibit edge softness. All lenses, especially the wide lenses, suffer chromatic aberration. The best tele converter for your C5050 is the Olympus TCON-17 1.7X for about $100+. Although it is twice the price of a Crystal Optics, you will not feel sorry to have one.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 1:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoeing
Thanks Richard,

Well, most everyone has a tale about not doing research on ebay and now I have one.

I'm going to keep the tripod and maybe the cases and sell the rest of the stuff back on ebay.

I did get a Raynox PLP-300 Polarizer Filter Kit from BugEyeDigital.com. I spent 3 hours looking online and people liked Raynox so I gave them a try. I put that steves digicams refered me to support the site. Raynox's site had pics of what the filter does and I hope to get good use out of it.

So, howmuch should I ask for on ebay for the cleaning kit, filters and 2 leneses?

Man, I feel stupid for not researching it.

Does Raynox make a UV filter? I didn't see one on their site.

Thanks a bunch for the replys.

sir_snaps-a-lot - thanks for the links... I can tell they are bad quality and blurry. again thanks for the links.

FRom,
Joe
I would look at tiffen and hoya filters. I am not saying that the raynox are bad, just that tiffen and hoya are very easy to find and very good quality. They both make uv filters that you should be able to find at any local camera shop or from most online sellers.
As far as selling the lenses, here is what I found for the limited edition ones.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...m=R2&catref=C3
The regular lenses which are probably just the same without the hard case sell for about 75-90$ new (for the set) and usally come with the cleaning kit and lens adapter..
I think these are the same size as the ones you got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30069
Here is the lens set, the adapter, and the filter set.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48525
Yours are probably worth a little more as they are the limited edition with the hard case. Just search terms like lens set, filter set, digital optics, crystal optics, titanium etc. and you can see what others are selling them for. there are a lot of people selling these lenses and filters on ebay with various combinations of accesories.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 7:06 PM   #9

Default I got differant lenses in the mail from the e-bay guy

Hi all,

My ebay package just came and all the filters and lenses are Merkury Innovations LE stuff. The auction said Crystal Optics but I got something differant.

Are these better than Crystal Optics LE lenses.

I got a 2x zoon lens and a 0.45 wide angle lens. and a matching filter kit.

Thanks for the help.

From,
Joe