Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2003, 10:52 PM   #11
jms

I have a similar problem. When I access the site (any part of it) with IE6, I can go to any page for a short while, then it seems like IE6 just hangs. I can shut down IE6 and restart it, then it will go another short while before hanging. It only happens on Steve's site. I've tried disabling ad blocking in my Norton Firewall, but it doesn't help.
It's VERY frustrating because I can use Netscape 4.7 to view the site without any hangs, but Netscape will not show pictures in the forums correctly. Netscape is also a lot slower than IE6.
I even tried re-installing IE6, but it didn't help.
I wish there was an answer for this because I visit this site a lot.
BTW, when IE6 "hangs", it only hangs on Steve's site. I can move to another site in my bookmarks and it will still work, but if I go back to Steve's before shutting down and restarting IE6, it won't go to any of the pages on his site.
Go figure :?:
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:08 PM   #12

I hate for this to be the answer, but you might consider trying Opera. Its a good browser that might work.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 1:27 AM   #13

Default One Word...

Sun Flares.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 6:31 AM   #14

..........I hate for this to be the answer, but you might consider trying Opera. Its a good browser that might work........

Hi eric, I've been using Opera for a while now, set to spoof as IE. However, it never seems to give the Font/quote options, and is guilty sometimes of multiple post replies. I don't find it too Flash/Javascript/ bank security compatible on some IE sites. So I still keep IE as an option if sites don't work. I've got the popup stopper enabled for this site and links to Avatars seem OK except for the very occasional member here who's Avatar link regularly generates a warning message! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 3:19 PM   #15

Default Solution

I updated my Norton Firewall and that seems to have fixed the problem. I can now view all of the review pages fine (for now). I have not tried too many of the reviews but the ones I was having problems with before are now working without a problem. My Norton service had expired but I was somehow able to update it without renewing the service or paying extra. It told me I had to pay $15 but then it somehow just started downloading the updates and installing them. Whatta you know? Thanks everyone.
sir_snaps-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 4:32 PM   #16
jms

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I hate for this to be the answer, but you might consider trying Opera. Its a good browser that might work.

Eric

Thanks. Eric ! I have never tried Opera, but am using it now. Seems to work pretty well here.
I'm going to continue using it for a few days and may decide to buy it and use it as my regular browser.
Do you use Opera regularly?

Jim
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 8:41 AM   #17

I bought a Mac and now don't have to deal with any of the above anymore -- WHOO-HOO!
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 8:22 AM   #18

Default Re: One Word...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
Sun Flares.
LOL! :lol:

BTW, that was two
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:17 AM   #19

I'm a proud Opera user, although I wish it would display things normally. Like on every thread it would display an extra few pages worth of blank space in the end. Yet having to pick up where you left off from browsing is one definite feature that has kept me hooked.

I just open Opera and I'm back to the three pages I regularly check in Steve's forums, General Q&A, Newbie Help, and Olympus Cams...

And the skins... the skins... :lol:

Although I still keep IE around... You never know...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 12:13 PM   #20
Administrator

I think the major malfunction is that too many people are trying to browse the website now (Digital Photography is getting more and more popular, so more users are going to this fine site).

I'm getting errors multiple times per day (almost everytime I access the site).

My errors are "site has too many users" errors from IE 6.0
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote