Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1

Myself and a co-worker are going to be starting a photography business here in the New Orleans area. I would like to hear some suggestions on a possible business name. We have been busy here of lately with weddings and Mardi Gras Parades and such. We would like to have more of a formal name to accompany us. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
SwampDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2

SwampDog wrote:
Quote:
Myself and a co-worker are going to be starting a photography business here in the New Orleans area. I would like to hear some suggestions on a possible business name. We have been busy here of lately with weddings and Mardi Gras Parades and such. We would like to have more of a formal name to accompany us. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Deauxing Pictures.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:50 AM   #3

How about something like "Portraiteurs du FĂȘtes"?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4

I've never been to New Orleans - although I'd love to go. But, my initial thought is - you're a photography business not a restaurant. Is using French or cajun in your business name going to gain you business or lose you business? In other words, how much of your target market would be drawn to the fact you are using that terminology vs the 'hunh'? factor. Remember, you need to consider your target demographic and not necessarily the demographic of the region as a whole. I think a good business name needs to be tied in to your marketing approach. For example, if you were going to advertise via phone book - guess what, earlier in the alphabet is better. If you're going to do wedding type work I would avoid cute names. Something simple - if your name is Chris and partner is Dave then C&D Studios may be fine. For kids stuff and event photography I think the word-play in the business is more important. For serious portrat / wedding work the name just needs to be simple. Your marketing strategy is what's most important. Not many people are going to choose a wedding photographer based upon the name of the studio
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the great suggestions... I love them all.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:47 AM   #6

If you think you might want to sell the business later, or that one of you might want to move on to something else, I'd suggest that you do not include your names in the business name. If you name it Chris & Dave's photography, what are you going to do if Dave decides to move to Podunk and become a professional polka dancer?

A friend is thinking of selling his business to retire and really wishes he hadn't included his name in the business name. Makes it harder to sell.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:59 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
How about something like "Portraiteurs du FĂȘtes"?
Of course, if you can't speak Cajun, you probably shouldn't use a Cajun name.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:53 AM   #8

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
...become a professional polka dancer?
:?I though that type of thing went out with Lawrence Welk? Is there still a lot of demand for that? Is that a career path we should be advising our children to consider? (... like they would.) :lol:
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:14 PM   #9

You and your coworker should form separate businesses. Partnerships are generally not a good idea.

Your local town or city hall will probably require that you register your business "doing business as" - so they know the name of your business and your whereabouts. You can then open a bank account in your business name.

Consider liability. If you create an LLC (limited liability corporation) then if you were to be sued, they could only come after the assets of your company and not your personal property like your home or your bank account.

Starting a business is not something to take lightly. Be more concerned that you've adopted the appropriate organization (like an LLC and not a partnership) than worrying about a name.

As the one gentleman suggested, if your John Smith then just create John Smith & Associates, LLC. You can always add a marketing "tag line" like "Only the Finest Portrait Photography" or something like that is not part of your business name, but describes the services you offer.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:53 AM   #10

Everyone has had wonderful ideas. I just thought if we worked together catching moments individually and put them together to compose a portfolio for the cilent. That this would be a great idea. No-one else thinks so? Thanks again for all the ideas.