Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:25 PM   #1

Hi just bought Spyder 3 Pro and calibrated my Lap Top can't believe how much the colors change, BUT one problem when i PP a picture in Photoshop and after converting it to sRGB and posting on the internet i don't think everyone will see the same colors that i see since my monitor is calibrated how do i go about what i see everyone sees thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:51 PM   #2

Dude, I don't think that you can. :sad:

Everyone has a different display from everyone else. What they see on their screen is both a product of the hardware and software their system relies on.

In a perfect world, all displays would be properly calibrated right out of the box using the same standards. Until that happens, we have to get there one monitor at a time. People like yourself who care enough about the accuracy of their images to spend a bit more for a calibration utility will have to be content knowing that their images will look reasonably how they are supposed to look on someone else's calibrated equipment. Don't worry about the general public. If you want them to see your pictures the way you intend, you have to show them a print that you've okay'd
as accurate.

For now, that's life in the big city.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Hi just bought Spyder 3 Pro and calibrated my Lap Top can't believe how much the colors change, BUT one problem when i PP a picture in Photoshop and after converting it to sRGB and posting on the internet i don't think everyone will see the same colors that i see since my monitor is calibrated how do i go about what i see everyone sees thanks

Are you trying to view your picture as if your customers were viewing the picture?

Manymonitor calibration systems allow you too keep 2 or more customizations or profiles which would allow you to flip between the profiles.

Yuk. But see, it can be done.

Or you can get a second monitor and not calibrate the monitor.

But at theend of the day you will find you have wasted the entire day and a lot of $.

Why?

Because of ambient light.

And you have two sources of ambient light problems. One at your location and the other is at the customer location.

BTW,you can calibratemonitor all you want but it does very little good. Turn the lights off in your room (or on if the lights were off) and your calibration efforts just got screwed up. Change a light bulb in the room and your calibration efforts are screwed up because the new bulb has a different lot number and thus a different color value to the light. Let your monitor age a couple 1000 hours and your calibration efforts are screwed up (just a few hours on a new monitor will have the same effect).

What good is your calibrating a monitor? Repeatability. Subtle color resolution

(because most monitors are set too bright and colors are boosted to make consumers happy)..

Accuracy? Not hardly, especially if you don't repeat your cailbration to account for the aging of your monitor as well asmaintain the ambient lighting conditions.

And all tht calibrating doesn't do much good if the customer at the other end does not match your efforts.

Oh, btw, my office hasWestfacing windows. Late afternoon Sunlight plays havoc with my monitor calibration. I just gave up trying to calibrate the monitor. Instead I set thecontrast and brightness levels and let it rip.

If you are really worried about your customer's reception to your work I would suggest publishing a color standard. Even something simple, like a photo of the USA Flag, bowl of fruit etcgoes a long way to establishing a color starting point. Maybe, just maybe, your customer will realize they have a problem when the red stripes on the flag appear rusty-brown while the bananaappears lime green.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4

One way of trying to standardise your view is to download a test card image including density step wedges in a full range of colours from one of the various outfits offering colour printing services, or make your own test image. Then get it printed at a reasonably large size, and put it alongside your monitor to see whether they match, and if not, adjust the monitor to suit.

I occasionally use http://photos.orange.co.uk/when it's a size or type of print my local camera shop can't manage. They have a test card at...

http://photos.orange.co.uk/content/q...ce/calibration,

but you may need to register (free) to download it. There will be similar sites in most countries, I imagine.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote