Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:44 PM   #1

Hey, I'm new here in the forum but I've been to Steve's review site over the years.

So here is my question.

In the last 9 years I think I have professionally printed 1 set of pics and enlarged 3 or 4. I rarely print them at home, I simply view my pics on the computer and I do it often.

I'm ready to replace my 5 MP camera and wondered about resolutions.

Today my PC notebook is widescreen 1600 x 900 as are my TVs although higher resolution.

On my last vacation I ended up borrowing a friends camera when I saw it shot 16x9 pics @ 3072 x 1728.

When Vista displayed the pic it had letterboxes on the side but when I started the slideshow it was perfect.

Needless to say I used her $145 pocket Kodak for the entire week.

If I just view my pics on the PC & possibly the 16x9 TV am I barking up the right tree?

Does anyone else shoot just one of the 16x9 formats for this purpose?

Here is one of the shots I took. Trunk Bay St. John USVI

Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2

Wakey wrote:
Quote:
When Vista displayed the pic it had letterboxes on the side but when I started the slideshow it was perfect.
When you were displaying the image, the letterboxes were to compensate for displaying the menubar. When you started the slideshow, the menubar was gone so there was no reason for the vertical letterboxes on eiach side.

But unlike televisions,few computer displays use the 16:9 aspect ratio. Widescreen computer displays more often are 16:10 (or 8:5) in order to make room for menubars and status bars, etc. So you may have actually gotten some very thin horizontal letterboxes and didn't notice them.

If you rarely print your photos, and all your displays are wide screen, then it makes sense that you might want to take wide screen photos. But there are times when the extra width detracts from the image.In addition, often, digital cameras have image sensors that use a 4:3 aspect ratio and create images of other aspect ratios by cropping the top and bottom off the image.

I, personally, think resolution is more important than aspect ratio, but if your only output devices are computer screens and televisions, and they're all widescreen, then any other aspect ratio is a waste. But so is any resolution larger than 1920X1080.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:53 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply!

I've started looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 since it does 16:9 natively.

I really get the sense everything is going 16:9 because the Internet in coming years will be providing as much HD content as Cable & Satellite providers.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:53 PM   #4

Wakey wrote:
Quote:
I really get the sense everything is going 16:9 because the Internet in coming years will be providing as much HD content as Cable & Satellite providers.
But, still, the overwhelming majority of still images are shot at 4:3 and 3:2 aspect ratios. 16:9 is mostly used as a convenient 'Panorama' format, like the sample you posted, but is rarely used for anything else.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:25 PM   #5

In your opinion would the LX3 be ineffective shooting lets say couples at a party for instance (in 16:9).

I can see it possibly being a problem getting them from head to toe without moving back a few feet.

Another website review (not sure if I can post a link here) said this camera had remarkably similar images taken in those 3 ratios.

Obviously I'm that guy that never tilts his camera on end for "tall" shots.

Thank you, I really appreciate your advice.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:43 PM   #6

Actually, the LX3 is one of the few still digicams that has a greater horizontal resolution at the 16:9 aspect ratio than at the other apsect ratios. So, yes, the vertical resolution isn't the only variable.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:50 AM   #7

Question to the OP...

How will you display photos taken in portrait orientation?
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:57 AM   #8

Sorry got an error the first time.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote