Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2009, 4:56 AM   #11

dnas wrote:
Quote:
........I've often thought that the practical limitation for Mpixels in a typical point and shoot digital camera is around 6-7Mpixel. Any more than that, the noise or noise reduction takes over and renders a less than satisfactory result.......
I used to think that, and was very happy with my Kodak Z712 (7Mpix) superzoom. [Incidentally I never used it in its 'point & shoot' modes. Because a camera is smaller, it doesn't mean it doesn't have a full range of settings.]

However, I then bought a very similar Z1012 (10Mpix), primarily as a backup, and because of the remarkably low price. The long zoom lenses on the two are not quite the same, so it's not an exact comparison, but I find the extra pixels make quite an improvementin the perceived image quality, despite the greater pixel density (36 vs29Mp/cm[suP]2[/suP]). The high ISO performance is also much better.

As no-one seems to be selling 6 or 7 Mpix small cameras any more, the point is academic anyway. The new generation of 10Mpix sensors seems to be much better than the older 6-7Mpix sensors. So there's an advance in absolute terms.If you (perish the thought) occasionally fail to frame the shot perfectly, and have to crop the image, the extra pixelsprove rather useful, and may even result in 6-7Mpix images!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:30 AM   #12

Hi Herb,

Great thread and and subsequent discussions.

sommething to consider when evaluating potential camera choices is the flexibility that a camera with the capability to use interchangable lenses over a super zoom P&S-aside from what's already been stated.

What makes the Panasonic G1or the Olympus E-420- or for that matter the newly announced Olympus E-620 compelling optionsis the availability of older "Legacy" slrlenses for very reasonable pricing. With the use of a low cost adapter, you can avail yourself ofa wide varietyof long or shortprime lenses that are generally much smaller in size than the equiv. "digital" lens (excepting the micro fourthirds lenses)and at considerably lower cost.

This gives the buyer of a Panasonic G1 the ability to get an option for add'l focal lengths not currently offered by Panasonic.

Also,in the case of the E-420 or E620 the smaller size of a legacy lens doesn't defeat the purpose of having a very small camera body only to put on a rather large digital lens.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:28 AM   #13

Not sure how many people have seen this but it's a good read regarding the Panasonic G1 camera. It's written by Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscape. Someone who has never been a big booster of the fourthirds concept.

Anyways here's the link;

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...sonic-g1.shtml

Zig
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:01 AM   #14

zig 123 - That's a very interesting article. It tempts me towards the G1. The absence of video doesn't bother me at all - and if it helps keep the price down, all the better.

One thing I don't understand in the article are the references to a "100% crop". Obviously the pictures were cropped, but to my simple mind, a 100% crop would mean that there was nothing left!
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Haha. Very well said.

It's a common digital photography term meaning a crop from a 100% view in photoshop. i.e. native pixel resolution. But you can't post the whole photo at that resolution because it would be too big.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:00 PM   #16

Herb wrote:
Quote:
zig 123 - That's a very interesting article. It tempts me towards the G1. The absence of video doesn't bother me at all - and if it helps keep the price down, all the better.
It is a very tempting camera and should be given serious consideration by anyone wanting a small camera that offers the capability of producing great images. One that travels well because of it's small size. I would have dearly loved to have had it with me when we went on a cruise to the Mediterranean. The G1 and the 40-200mm zoom lens would have been perfect.

That being said, it does have it's limitations. First off, lacking a mirror box and Optical viewfinder, it relies on an electronic liveviewviewfinder. The problem associated with that particular setup is limited to poor performance in low light situations. When it gets dark, it's almost impossible to see thru the viewfinder. It does have some issues with noise in high ISO applications. Lastly, the limited lens availability- with thelenses that are currently available, being a bit on the slow side.

In looking at your original post, you mentioned you wanted a camera that worked well in low light situations,would have a prime -or nonzoom lens and great image quality.

Well, the G1 has good if not great IQ. but is currently limited in the other 2 areas.

If you're seriously interested, I would suggest:

Read the review on the camera on this website, as well as the review on DPreviews. Both well written, with the latter being a bit more technical in nature. I would also recommend you go to camera shop and try it out -first hand- to get the feel of it. take along a memory card so you can take a lot of sample photos. Then you can examine the images on your pc.

happy hunting for that perfect camera.:-)

Zig