Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:47 PM   #1

The girlfriend and I will be heading off to Costa Rica for 10 days in Dec/Jan and I want to know what precautions would one day when carrying around camera equipment.

I have a Canon XSi with a EF 70-200 f2.8 IS lens which I want to bring (as well as my 50 f1.8 and probably my kit lens).

One advice I've heard is find a worn looking bag/pack that i can put the camera into so it not so obvious I have such equipment, but what when I am walking around with the 70-200mm in places lik San Jose, or Cahuila, or Puerto Viejo etc?

Most people here look at the lens and say wow, that must be expensive. How do photo journalists wander around with expensive gear without fear of being mugged for it when they are traveling around developing countries etc?

Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:03 PM   #2

Do you anticipate the need to use an EF 70-200 f2.8 IS lens on your trip to Costa Rica? Certainly in your experience, using that lens attracts a lot of attention. Maybe you should leave it home. The kit lens is high quality, is a better 'walk around' lens, and wouldn't draw as much attention.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:14 PM   #3

We'll be doing hikes and such in the rain forests (guided) and the various wildlife we'll (supposidely) get to see will be things like Howler Monkies, Spider Monkies, Sloths, and various exotic birds. So low light, sharpness would be something I want.

I could bring the kit lens (18-55mm IS) when we go into town etc or the beach. Though the 70-200 i think would be good for the guided hikes.

Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:44 PM   #4

Gimli wrote:
Quote:
We'll be doing hikes and such in the rain forests (guided) and the various wildlife we'll (supposidely) get to see will be things like Howler Monkies, Spider Monkies, Sloths, and various exotic birds. So low light, sharpness would be something I want.

I could bring the kit lens (18-55mm IS) when we go into town etc or the beach. Though the 70-200 i think would be good for the guided hikes.
Yes. I agree. But it's also 3.25 lbs. Do you want to take it on a hike?

How about renting a Tamron 70-200/2.8 for the trip. It weighs 2.5 lbs. If it gets stolen, you're out the cost of a used lens, and if not, that's almost a pound you didn't have to lug around through the rain forest.

Just a thought.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:28 PM   #5

Gimli wrote:
Quote:
How do photo journalists wander around with expensive gear without fear of being mugged for it when they are traveling around developing countries etc?
A photo journalists cannot afford to not to get the pictures because of worries about theft. They would be more concerned about the memory card than the lens. What they do is insure the equipment and not risk their lives if someone wants to take it. That may be an option for you as well. A travel agent or your insurance agent might be able to help you out there.

Beyond that the best you can do is keep a low profile. Don't flaunt the equipment pull it out only when needed. The old back pack is a good idea. When my kids were little I used a diaper bag. No one wants to steel that.

Last but not least store your images every night if you can on a portable HD or an on line storage site. That way if you do get ripped off at least you still have the photo's

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:34 PM   #6

Looking at things from another side of the travel photography/vacation thing.......

One thing I would make certain is that you are able to carry on all your camera gear on the plane trip. Don't even think about checking any of the gear. Make sure the bag you put it in is small enough to meet your airlines carryon restrictions.

Also one thing most people forget about is to make sure you have enough memory cards to get you through the trip or a portable storage device you can offload the photos to until you get home and can upload it all to your computer. Personally I don't feel safe carrying my $2200 laptop with me when I travel and I carry 4 memory cards and a 60GB wolverine flashpack storage device with me in the camera bag.

Also make sure you have a spare battery for the camera since you most likely will only be able to charge it at night in the hotel room and not when your on the go. I would bet if you get on the wildlife outing your gonna be taking lots of images and will be glad you have a spare battery. Also check the TSA and your destination country's policies on traveling with batteries. I know the TSA doesn't allow any loose lithium ion batteries in your carry-ons. You will jave to pack them seperate in ziplock bags. Then I think they will only allow you two spare batteries max.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:18 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies!

My 2 lithium's are in the battery grip of the camera. So far i haven't really HAD to charge it yet with extensive use. 8hrs at the slopes of continuous shooting of snowboarders etc without any indication of batteries being low. I could bring the AA battery adapter.

I have a cheap laptop we were going to bring (I dont care if it gets stolen as I received it for free and only use it few times a year). But I do have 16gb, 8gb, 4gb memory cards which I could offload to Flickr or my work NAS if I need to back at our accommodation (they say they have wifi). I have a small USB SDHC card reader that will be coming along. Yea a Vacation with a laptop I know I did bring it to the Domincan last year without issues.

The weight of the lens doesn't bother me too much. I've been using it for my 3-4hr photowalks and so far it hasn't been a hassle. Helped me get used to the weight etc.

The insurance idea is good. I'll definitely look into that.
I could rent the Sigma or Tamron lens but here the deposit of them requires the price of the lens which would be about $1200, though the Canon was $2000.