Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:38 AM   #1

I have just purchased a new Panasonic FZ50 (probably the last NEW one on the planet).

My question is - should I fit a neutral filter to protect the lens, or will it affect IQ?

If so which is best?

Thanks
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2

Even the best filter will affect image quality, but certainly some are worse than others. But repairing a lens or replacing a camera can be xpensive compared to the cost of a filter and the loss of image quality.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The FZ50 comes with a lens hood, and a number of people rely on their lens hoods to protect their lenses. It won't be as effective, but it doesn't cost anything extra, and will actually improve image quality.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:30 PM   #3

It's a religious issue - an article of faith, if you will. The other side answers that the front element of modern lensesare hard coated anywaysoscratches from dustwould beirrelevant given reasonable cleaning practices. An additional element of the argument is that a UV filter protects from impact damage to the front element with the counter argument that any impact sufficent to damage the front element will more likely damage the focusing/zoom mechanisms and moter and the UV won't help at all. I'm on the side of why take a hit on IQ on every photo for a minor risk reduction.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:00 AM   #4

Thanks for your thoughts on that.
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote