Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:06 AM   #41

Default The crystal ball two years on ?

Hi Guys,

Two years later on from my original post...

I bought an E-520, and an E-510 for my daughter as well. My mother bought a E-520 too shortly afterwards.

I bought the Zuiko 35mm Macro lens to ad to a Sigma 55-200mm I got secondhand and the original 14-42mm the body came with. Both the other bodies had the twin kit lenses. Also got a Metz 48 AF-1 flash. The macro and flash were bought at the great price in Hong Kong.
All units work well, no quality issues at all.

I got back from Singapore today. While there I was hoping to find and buy the Zuiko 50-200mm SWD F2.8. I didn't end up doing that as SG prices were about 20% more that Australia. Sure, people told me that would be the case, but I had to try for myself. I can bargain hard...

While failing to buy a 50-200mm, I also found very quickly that there is very little E series stocked in Singapore shops. I only found one E-3 in about thirty shops checked out. That one was in some back blocks store in Chinatown.
Also lenses for 4/3 are rare there too, and a number for shops told me that production of 4/3 lenses has stopped in Japan.

However micro 4/3 systems are easy to find in stock. A good number of shops had all the PEN's on the shelf. Also a range of m4/3 lenses in Oly and Panasonic.

My questionstwo years on....
Is the E series really declining and the m4/3 systems becoming the major Oly system like my snapshot of the Singapore market suggests, and would anyone buying a compact dSLR be now be better off to buy a m4/3 system instead ?

Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:58 AM   #42

IMHO there will be another 4 pages repeating all the previous comments as we are expecting an announcement from canon in november, it could be anything from a mirrorless to a 5d3. I am sure that people will buy cameras that suit them and there shotting needs and that 4/3 and mirrorless and DSLR's will live together.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
IMHO there will be another 4 pages repeating all the previous comments as we are expecting an announcement from canon in november, it could be anything from a mirrorless to a 5d3. I am sure that people will buy cameras that suit them and there shotting needs and that 4/3 and mirrorless and DSLR's will live together.
I'd be happy with one real response to the post, four pages would be over the top though.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
Hi Guys,

Two years later on from my original post...

My questionstwo years on....
Is the E series really declining and the m4/3 systems becoming the major Oly system like my snapshot of the Singapore market suggests, and would anyone buying a compact dSLR be now be better off to buy a m4/3 system instead ?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Olympus is now down to one E-XXX dslr camera body, The E-5 which replaces the E-3. If anyone is advertising any of the E-system dslr's it's because they are selling off existing stock as Olympus is not manufacturing any other fourthirds body.

And, it has been made clear by Olympus management that their future is in m43 and all their research and development is concentrated in that marketplace. Anyone who believes otherwise is simply not facing reality.

Olympus is in a bit of a fix at the moment as their camera department really missed the boat on capturing market share when the opportunity presented itself. Panasonic continually came out with micro fourthirds bodies with better and faster AF systems as well as built in EVF. Include superior video capabilities and well, Olympus was always behind their only competitor.

Olympus didn't do everything wrong, the jpeg engine, sensor, and processor of the PEN cameras produce some of the best jpegs you've ever seen. ALL in auto mode. For the average point and shoot user, who just wants to turn the camera on, point and shoot, the Pen series are amazing.

Now, after pretty much having the market place to split between Panasonic and themselves the big boys have entered the game after seeing the sales figures and user acceptance of the mirrorless concept. This should really put additional strain on their gaining any market share.

As for your 2nd question, would someone contemplating buying a compact dslr be better off buying a micro four thirds camera instead. Well, a lot has happened in 2years. Sony has come out with the Nex7 mirrorless camera, Fugi has the X100, nikon is going mirrorless with Canon to follow at some point. And, I've not named all the other players in this arena.

At this point, my view is that Olympus still has an edge against their competitors with their OOC jpegs having excellent image quality and their variety of high quality lenses developed exclusively for the micro43.

Ask me the same question in 2 years, and we'll know more. But I'm not betting any money that Olympus will be in the camera business in two years.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:37 AM   #45

Hi Zig, and thanks for taking the time to answer me so well with the update of the situation.

All a bit sad really, only one remaining E series body and all. I feel quite deflated right now while writing this reply.

On the up side, at least I can make an informed decision now about buying new lenses for my E-520. I think I'll not do that now (unless a good priced secondhand unit falls my way somehow).

I can get a good few more years from my current E-series kit I think, but my one reoccurring issue is needing a faster lens for shooting RC model aircraft in flight and other fast action photography.
I get away with the F4-5.6 Sigma zoom a lot of the time if I try hard, but there is little substitute for light gathering. Hence the quest for a F2.8 lens.
I can't see a 50-200mm F2.8 for m43 yet listed, so even if I bought a m43 body I'd be in the same boat I think. I'm not keen on a bigger bulkier dSLR system either...

Yes, I'll talk to you in two more years time

Till then good health and good shooting.
Martin
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:24 AM   #46

4/3 vs M4/3 was a good question two years ago as to which would win out or if the market could support both style of cameras. Today the update question is will the new micro 4/3 size APS-C sensor cameras take over the market and push out the M4/3 cameras? I know the new Sony NEX and Samsung cameras have caught my eye having the larger sensors. An APS-C sensor in a camera the size of a point and shoot camera with all (as advertised) the features of a DSLR sure looks good to me. Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:48 AM   #47

Happily some three years on now (wow where did that time go) the story has gone from depressing to delightful. The OM-D E-M1 m43 camera body has been born and filled the darkness in my photographic equipment nightmare

So glad I waited and didn't ditch my Olympus gear, as the nice old 4/3 lenses seem to work well on the E-M1

Regards and good shooting,
Martin
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:14 AM   #48

Default Be patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
Happily some three years on now (wow where did that time go) the story has gone from depressing to delightful. The OM-D E-M1 m43 camera body has been born and filled the darkness in my photographic equipment nightmare

So glad I waited and didn't ditch my Olympus gear, as the nice old 4/3 lenses seem to work well on the E-M1

Regards and good shooting,
Martin
It is nice to see that being patient is a good thing. You got a very nice camera who can handle the old 4/3 and the current m4/3 lenses. Remember that you can used the old OM and other manufacturers lenses with an adapter

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote