Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Kodak easyshare z712is and the manual, and several reviews, mention that it has 4x digital maginification in "still mode". For the life of me I cant discover how this works and was wondering if someone can help me. Any additional tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

[email protected]

igibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:39 AM   #2

igibbons wrote:
Quote:
Kodak....z712is ...has 4x digital maginification in "still mode". ....cant discover how this works ...Any additional tips would be much appreciated.
I have a Z712 and a Z1012, and love them both. If you really want the digital zoom, you switch it on in the 'Setup' menu, under 'Advanced Digital Zoom', where you can set it to 'None', 'Continuous' or 'Pause'. 'Pause' means you can tell when you're using it. I recommend 'None'.

Digital zoom doesn't magnify the digital image, it just spreads it over the screen, and effectively throws away pixels, which you might want later. So I recommend you leave it off, and do exactly the same thing when viewing your image on the computer later, without throwing anything away. If you do use it, I'd urge you to take the same shot without the digital zoom as well.

I have used digital zoom once only, when I was trying to convince my family that there was a hole right through an offshore Scottish island near John o'Groats. It beat good quality 8x30 binoculars, but only for that purpose.

You'll get lots of advice on the Z712 in the 'Kodak' forum here on Steve's. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=18

If you rummage in the full manual or on Kodak website you'll also find the answer toyour question...

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/urg00671toc.jhtml?pq-path=10725/10847

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:14 AM   #3

Full frame above, resized and sharpened a little. Full manual zoom.

Below, on the left, a 1:1, 100%, pixel for pixel crop from the frame above, without digital zoom, enlarged 3 times in Paint Shop Pro. Aperture priority, f/4.8, 1/512s, ISO200, 432mm equiv.

On the right, a 1:1, 100%, pixel for pixel crop from a frame with 3x digital zoom in the camera at the time. Aperture priority, f/4.8, 1/645s, ISO400. (ISO turned up to minimise camera shake at 1296mm equiv.)

So I think digital zoom has little to offer except as a substitute for a telescope in such situations.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:45 AM   #4

Thanks for helping Alan T.

igibbons, I moved this post over to a more appropriate area.

Thanks for joining!

:|
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5

Thanks so much for helping me out with the camera. I got so caught up in all of the functions that the simple feature slipped by me. Looking forward to taking some sweet pics.
igibbons is offline   Reply With Quote