Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Well, since cameras use contrast detection for focusing, turning up the gain on the CCD so it's better in lower light can work.
Since it has never worked for me I had assumed the increased noise made the edges less distinct. Usually if there isnít enough light to focus at ISO 100 I have had no luck increasing to 200. I do admit I have a tendency to switch to manual focus or pre-focus on something with better contrast, so maybe I havenít experimented enough.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz
The Oly C3020 doesn't have a focus assist feature of any kind. I've had reasonable success in low light situations using an ordinary laser pointer which projects a graphic image rather than a pin-point spot as a focusing aid (mine makes a large dollar sign). Shine the laser on the subject and let the camera autofocus on the laser image projection (sort of a poor man's 717). This seems to work well, except I find it awkward as heck to hold the laser pointer with my left hand and keep it steady on the subject whilst aiming and half pressing the shutter on the camera in my right hand.

This techinique is not suitable for use with human or animal subject since you don't want to risk shining the laser pointer beam into the subject's eyes. The Sony cameras are eye-safe since they produce a much lower power beam and it is pulsed on for only a fraction of a second.
Good idea. I bought my grandson a watch with a built-in laser. Nobody would confuse it with a Rolex but it might work. The laser isnít as strong as a laser pointer so there wouldnít be much problem with eye damage. I think it has a couple of patterns as well as a spot. http://www.crazydiscounts.com/detail.htm

I have one of those little white LED lights mounted on my watchband. It is for general use and very handy, but I have used it for focus in low light situations.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:46 PM   #13

Default My Minolta

used a "night vision" type of focusing...it showed the image as a B&W but still allowed me to focus on her eyes. I told her about this before the shot & told her to be still. Luckely, she had enough experience to be cool in the situation. Some models I shot like that looked like a "deer in the headlights"!

She looks good standing up too!

Old Oct 28, 2003, 9:38 PM   #14

Yeah really...I have to comment again here. Thank you. I am not worthy. 8)
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote