Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:14 PM   #11
djb

i don't know for sure if these softwares will rotate the pictures for you but, you might try some of the astrophoto stacking softwares like: registax and astrostack. they are freewares that can be downloaded. what they are used for is to take a movie stream frame by frame and stack the chosen frames to create a high resolution still frame. i don't know if they have a rotating function
to be abke to rotate each frame and recreate a movie file.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:06 AM   #12

Default Re: MOV rotation

When I bought my cam (Canon S400) I did not think I would ever use the gimmick. However, the cam being so small (main reason for buying it, in combination with 4Mp and good image quality) I found that I have it with me all the time, which does not hold for my video camera. As a result I wound up using it occasionally for those moments that you want to keep. Quality is reasonable, although I have not yet seen it on TV but that can only be better compared to viewing them on PC. I hope my next cam will have at least 25 fps (its more important to have smoother motion than better resolution at this time). It seems very plausible that the photo and video cams will converge to one device in the reasonable foreseable future (already vidcams can also make stills of reasonable res (1Mbit or has it already gone up again?), and there are some digicams out there that have 640x480 movie res, dont know whether framerate has gone up yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcomer
I never use the movie function on my Coolpix 995 for the aforementioned reasons, BUT on Friday during the Halloween party at work a friend asked me to turn it on so she could shoot a guy that dressed as a woman trying to walk in heels. I turned it on but didn't notice that she was holding the camera vertical until it was too late! There's enough space to crop and still have a good picture if I rotate it...but I don't know of any software that will do this....anyone know of anything?
I found a freeware package that does those things, like rotating the movie (not sure about cropping frames), but also using other codecs etc. Dont know the name by heart (AVmovie or something like it), I'll check it at home tonight and let you know if you're interested (maybe someone reading this, knows what I'm talking about?). I think i got the pointer from this forum previously but cannot seem to find that post anymore.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 4:38 AM   #13
NMH

I wonder if we can get a slow speed movie recording mode which I can use it for recording a growing plant or something like that over a long duration of time.

Probably the camera manufacturers haven't get this idea yet.
NMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 5:04 AM   #14

kcomer - f you have Windows XP, upgrade the included Windows Movie Maker to version 2 which is free via the online windows update. One of the special effects that can be applied in that program is to rotate your video if I recall correctly. If your camera saves videos as .mov files, you will need to convert them first, but this would be true for most editing packages. There is a little program called mov2avi that'll do this for you.

NMH - For something like recording a plant growing you'd use time-lapse shutter control, not slowly recorded video. Then you put all the individual frames together to make a movie. I presume some expensive cameras have this feature built in, while others (e.g. many Olympus models) can do it via 3rd party PC software.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 6:11 PM   #15

That piece of software for AVI editing is called AVIedit.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 9:11 AM   #16

The thing to remember about most cams offering AVI movi mode (as compared to MPEG2 in a Moviecam), Is AVI is incredibly cam memory thirsty and hungry on PC resources and time you can spend with a PC afterwards.

Conversion to MPEG2 to shrink files is practical for short AVI clips, but not for long movies. Also, you will find that to keep file sizes down, even at 320X240, an enormous amount of real time JPEG compression is used without motion estimation - so if anything moves in the picture frame, don't expect high quality at full screen sizes on your PC monitor! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 10:39 PM   #17

Its a nice gimmick to have. If you get it, get it w/ sound.
When I go on a trip, I tend to use it once or twice per trip.

Ever notice how digital video cameras have awful still picture quality, and still cameras have awful video quality? You'ld think someone would design a camera that does both well! :idea:

-todd
toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 7:07 AM   #18

Yes, and if they could produce and store an MPEG2 stream instead of MJPEG AVI that would be a start. I guess the people to do this will be the traditional movie cam makers like Sony/Panasonic etc. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 8:40 AM   #19

Both of my cameras have 320 X 240 movies and they verge on useless. But samples Iíve seen of 640 X 480 at 30fps look decent. Models with sound tend to not let you zoom during recording as the mechanisms arenít as sound insulated as video cameras. Probably improves some peopleís movies Ė seasick zoom is the video equivalent of ransom note word processing.

People donít tend to carry both video and still cameras and you never know when you want a movie instead of a still shot. I donít understand why everyone hasnít gone to the large format. It is especially disappointing that the stabilized cameras all have 320 X 240.

It would be nice if someone would make a pocket camera similar to the Pentax 555 with CF cards and a decent movie mode.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote