Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:32 AM   #11

Just go with the landscape setting as it does automatically what you can also achieve manually and avoids the possibility to accidentally go to a beyond infinity setting.

ps: I hope you forgive me my earlier attempt at a humorous response as I cannot resist these urges at times
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:57 AM   #12

Thanks BigMac. I am gonna go with the landscape setting instead of manually focussing to infinity and see how things turn out. And keep that humor coming I say.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:55 PM   #13

Oops, I ran into a problem with this tonight. I didn't realize that after switching to landscape mode, I wouldn't be able to adjust exposure settings. I wonder if there's a workaround. Could I have locked in the focus, then switched to another mode?
Old Oct 31, 2003, 3:57 AM   #14

Personally I find it hard to believe that your camera functions that way but it is impossible to answer without disclosing what camera you have. My Canon S400 is certainly not working that way.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 7:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Could I have locked in the focus, then switched to another mode?
On my 602, I can select landscape, half press the shutter, block the front IR focus sensor with finger or select adaptor, then select manual and the focus stays where the camera presets infinity. This is a standard work around for this cam, especially when shooting low light on distant shots when the camera can get focus wrong since it defaults to near focus when confused (like most cams).

If you are using smaller apertures, there is plenty of DOF for most shots set up in landscape when the auto focus is struggling. I sometimes wonder if this is the preset used for auto flash since I can't believe in total darkness the AF has time during the flash to set focus, yet the pics are always sharp. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:38 AM   #16

Big Mac, it took some time but I'm finally ready to disclose my camera model. This is hard for me because I've been trying to conceal it, but it's just to big to hide. Canon G5.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 11:43 AM   #17
NHL

IMO infinity is where parallel rays of light converge at the focal point through the lens... At shorter distance this angle get tighter and tighter.

However If theses angles hitting the lens come from a diverging (like past the infinity setting) source... It's there for:

1. Attachments that users might add to their camera (ie conversion lenses)
2. Shooting IR which has a different focal point (because of the different wavelenght)
3. Manufacturing tolerance in the focusing mechanism
4. Variation in temperature (ie in the Sahara and at the North pole)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote