Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:17 PM   #11

(I meant 3 feet to 6 feet above BTW, not inches as I typed)

Thanks guys, lots of research to be done now on those threads and links.

Yes, the new E-620 may be the best fit. Will look at the G1 again too. (I've been through every review of every current model live view dSLR's in DPreview.com once already)

I will check out the Alpha 350 in more detail too, but the price of new lenses will be dearer than for 4/3 I think... The more complex adapters also dearer maybe.

Martin

mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:00 AM   #12

JimC wrote: Jim, I couldn't find Pentax K-mount to Sony/Minolta body adapters. Is there one there ?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:59 AM   #13

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote: Jim, I couldn't find Pentax K-mount to Sony/Minolta body adapters. Is there one there ?
The Pentax K-mount is has a 1mm larger flange distance than the Sony A mount, so there is not enough room for an adapter to get infinity focus(without a glass element). Consequently, I don't think there is a demand for that type of adapter.

As others have said, if you're after the occasional use of liveview in relatively static situations as you mention, then the liveview on the E-520 will be fine. The E-620 has the swiveling LCD, so it sounds ideal for your use.

Even better if you have Minolta MC lenses as these work very well with the Olympus E-series cameras with liveview for focusing. A word of warning about Pentax lenses... Make sure you remove the flange that protects the aperture follower lever on the Pentax lenses. Depending on the lens, these can snag on the electrical contact pins on the 4/3 camera, and damage them!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:31 AM   #14
Administrator

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
Jim, I couldn't find Pentax K-mount to Sony/Minolta body adapters. Is there one there ?
Gadget Infinity (a reputable Hong Kong based vendor that I mentioned in my previous post) offers two different K-Mount to Minolta Maxxum/Sony Alpha body adapters.

One has a built in IC to allow Focus Confirmation in the viewfinder, and another one is an adapter without any extras. Just use the search and plug in "Sony Lens Adapter" (without the quotes) and you'll find a number of different adapters that let you use a variety of lens types on a Maxxum/Alpha mount camera body.

They're all in the Adapters section here:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=270

Here's a K-Mount to Maxxum/Alpha Body adapter with focus confirmation (those with focus confirmation support are better so that the camera will let you if your Manual Focus is right via an AF confirm light and audible beep):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...t=0&page=1

Here's one without focus confirmation:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...t=0&page=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:35 AM   #15
Administrator

dnas wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax K-mount is has a 1mm larger flange distance than the Sony A mount, so there is not enough room for an adapter to get infinity focus(without a glass element).
Yes, a number of lens adapters have optical elements to allow focus to infinity. as I mentioned in my first post. Most newer designs have elements that make using them equivalent to using a 1.1x to 1.2x TC anymore

Quote:
As others have said, if you're after the occasional use of liveview in relatively static situations as you mention, then the liveview on the E-520 will be fine. The E-620 has the swiveling LCD, so it sounds ideal for your use.

Even better if you have Minolta MC lenses as these work very well with the Olympus E-series cameras with liveview for focusing.
If the OP is going to be using Manual Focus lenses often, then the Sony A300's faster Autofocus Speed using Live View wouldn't matter (since manual focus is being used anyway), and the Olympus magnification features using Live View may come in handy to help with better focus. But, with modern AF lenses (Minolta or Sony), the A300's faster Autofocus may come in handy, depending on how often Live View is being used. There are pros and cons to any solution.

Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:26 AM   #16

Hmmm.... Looks like the E-520/E-620 or the Sony A300K will suit me fine then. Toss a coin time.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:51 AM   #17
Administrator

I'd try them out in a store to see what feels better to you. Ergonomics, control layout, size, weight and more all come into the picture (pun intended). ;-)

Personally, I'd go with one of the Sony models without live view (for example, the A200), since these have a larger optical viewfinder, and I'd rarely need Live View.

The Sony live view models (A300 and A350) have smaller viewfinders compared to other Sony Alpha models (the A300/A350 viewfinder is about the same size as the smaller viewfinders in most Olympus entry level dSLR models) in order to make room for the separate live view sensor in their viewfinder housings.

With an Olympus E-xxx or Sony A300/A350 solution, you can get eyepiece magnifiers to help out. The Olympus ME-1 is one popular choice with Oly owners (and it can also be used on on the Sony A300/A350 models, magnifying the viewfinder image image by 1.2x). One option I've seen users report works great with the Sony Alpha 300 and 350 is the Nikon DK-21M magnifying eyepiece (1.17x magnification). It's around $24.95 at popular vendors of Nikon gear.

But, many users don't mind the viewfinder size with these models. It really depends on what you're used to.

Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:10 PM   #18

Pentax right-angle finders and eyepiece magnifiers fit Minolta/Sony cameras, too. The RAF gives a full frame view, but the magnifier does not.

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
I will check out the Alpha 350 in more detail too, but the price of new lenses will be dearer than for 4/3 I think...
If new Sony lenses are too costly for you, there are plenty of good Sigma and Tamron lenses available, as well as older Minolta and Konica Minolta lenses, most of which were quite good. Many more available lenses for Sony than for the 4/3 system at the moment, I think, although I am not that familiar with the Olympus/Panasonic system..
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:17 PM   #19

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm.... Looks like the E-520/E-620 or the Sony A300K will suit me fine then. Toss a coin time.
If you want to use your old Minolta & Pentax lenses on a new DSLR then you are better off getting the E-520/E-620.

If you don't want to use those lenses, then you can choose pretty much any camera with liveview......
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:02 AM   #20

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
Well I have had a play with both in a shop. I didn't find the view finder in the E-520 too small, and it only looks smaller than the A300's when you swap from one to the other to compare. Also looked through the E-3, and that VF does look bigger.

Feel. I found the E-520 felt more 'solid' for want of a better word compared to the A300. Both in the body and grip, but also in the lens movement. The A300 kit lens seemed light and plasticy to me with little firmness to the zoom action by comparison.
The A300 feels much bigger too, and I guess that it is a bit. I'm used to the bridging Fuij S6500 size, which is similar to the E-520 so that's no surprise.

Yes Live View on the E-520 was fast enough for my macro and other weird shooting position habits. Live view was too slow though for motion shots, but I try to go to ELV on my old camera for that anyway. Damn the shutter delay in VF mode on the E-520 is short, I'm most impressed.

The rear LCD on the A300 looks bigger, and the up down articulation is very good too. I forgot to try live view speed on the A300.

I'm thinking the E-520 will suit my requirements though, and I'd probably only buy the A300 if someone can match the price to the Olympus (not very likely).

These are only my quick impressions, don't read too much into it. Thought I'd document it while it's fresh in my mind.
Martin