Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:49 AM   #1

A question for members that have the late Olympus 4/3 models with live view.
I'm trying to get a handle on whether live view on dSLRs is going to disappoint me if I buy one, particularly say an E-520.

My usage of live view is frequent on my Fuji hybrid S6500fd, as I seem to do a lot of low to the ground (e.g. pets) and also macro closeup shots (e.g. electronics).

I only tend to use the EVF outdoors in bright light, typically snapping RC models in flight where viewing the LCD is difficult.

Is Live View reasonable to use on these 4/3 cameras, compared say to live view built into P&S types (like my Fuji S6500fd hybrid) ?

If the live view is still really a dog I may have to eat my words and buy a hybrid again (Noooo......).

Thanks
Martin
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:25 AM   #2

I'm not sure what is hybrid about the Fuji S6500fd, but anyway doesn't matter :?

If you use an Olympus 4/3 DSLR with liveview all the time, then you will be disappointed. I'm not sure why you would want to actually....

BUT, in my way of thinking, the BEST reason to use liveview, is when you have older manual focus lenses attached via an adapter. I have an Olympus E-510, and you can use liveview (with the 7x multiplier) to help accurately focus the lens. In that respect, it's very nice!!!!! :-)
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:23 AM   #3

Hi,

As dnas has already pointed out, using the liveview feature on an E-510 or 520 dslr fulltime for all your shooting situations will disappoint you as there is a shutter delay that would create problems in photographing moving pets, children, etc.

However, the E-520 as does the E-510 has a very useful live view that can be used for your macro requirements as you can really finetune focus with the 10x magnifiying feature.

Ifa fast and responsive liveview is the most critical requirement that a dslr camera must possess, you might look at either the Sony 350 or the Panasonic G1.

Here is a link to a review on the Panasonic G1 done recently by DPreview. It is a timely review, in that it compares the G1, E-520 and the Sony 350 in terms of performance and I.Q..The review compares the camera to a Fugi P&S. It also answers a lot of questions about liveview performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/

One thing to consider, one of the prime benefits of the PanasonicG1 is that, with an adapter, you can use any number of high quality Olympuse digital lenses. The Olympus 50mm macro f2.0 lens is probably the best macro lens currently offered by any manufacturer. In fact, DPreview used the lens in the preformace testing using it with the G1.

As for the E-520, it's a great camera. It takes great pictures, live view for macro shooting works quite well. Cameta Camera is offering E-520demo units for 349.00 on EBay. It's a steal at that price.

Good luck.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:54 AM   #4

If you want primarily live view, Panny g1 or the discontinued Olympus E330. Both would do an outstanding job for you. The E330 was selling for a song about a year ago and you may find a decent price used, or maybe a scattered new one available too.

I guess Sony's implementation is decent too, but I haven't really looked at it, so hopefully there will be someone to fill us in on the details.

The Oly liveview is a bit clunky IMHO. It can be handy in some circumstances, but not smooth or seamless, as I think that's what your after.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
I guess Sony's implementation is decent too, but I haven't really looked at it, so hopefully there will be someone to fill us in on the details.
Yes, the Sony A300 and A350 models have very fast Autofocus in comparison to most dSLR models using Live view, via these cameras' dedicated 9 point Autofocus Sensors using phase detection AF, while providing Live View at the same time (thanks to a separate Live View sensor in the Viewfinder housing, that sees the same image normally projected to the camera's optical viewfinder when switched to Live View mode).

This system eliminates the AF performance issues associated with live view in most dSLR models.

You can get the A300 with a kit lens for around $599 now. See this model's features here:

Sony A300 at sonystyle.com

P.S.

Steve's didn't review the A300, but you can see the A350 review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_..._alpha350.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:20 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the Sony A300 and A350 models have very fast Autofocus in comparison to most dSLR models using Live view, via these cameras' dedicated 9 point Autofocus Sensors using phase detection AF, while providing Live View at the same time (thanks to a separate Live View sensor in the Viewfinder housing, that sees the same image normally projected to the camera's optical viewfinder when switched to Live View mode).

This system eliminates the AF performance issues associated with live view in most dSLR models.

Thanks for that.

It looks similar to, but more elegant than the E330's system. That, and as you have mentioned, the addition of CDAF.

Looks like a nice solution.

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:03 PM   #7

I like live view because of the freedom it gives me to accurately compose and take a shot from heights other than 3' to 6' off the ground.

I find being able to compose a shot with it held over head (over crowds etc) is wonderful. I've also taken difficult shots down through holes in limestone caves at full arms length to capture 'around the bend' tiny stalactite formations not seen without a rear LCD view. Sure, this is not a daily occurrence, but I would hate to loose the ability to get those very special shots with ease.
One solution is have a P&S as well of course..... I bet many dSLR owners do.

Pity the Olympus LV is not the greatest. I really like the 4/3 concept and the ability to adapt lenses easily. I have some nice Pentax and old Minolta MC lenses, and also a long term loan of a nice Tamron 500/F8 mirror with Penatx mount. I don't think I can use them on the Sony Alpha though.

What I'd like is the 4/3 system of the Olympus and the in body IS, plus the live view of the Sony Alpha 350, and the video ability of the D90 Nikon.
Anybody got a hacksaw ?

mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:57 PM   #8

mr.sneezy wrote:
Quote:
I like live view because of the freedom it gives me to accurately compose and take a shot from heights other than 3" to 6" off the ground.
I find being able to compose a shot with it held over head (over crowds etc) is wonderful. I've also taken difficult shots down through holes in limestone caves at full arms length to capture 'around the bend' tiny stalactite formations not seen without a rear LCD view. Sure, this is not a daily occurrence, but I would hate to loose the ability to get those very special shots with ease.
One solution is have a P&S as well of course..... I bet many dSLR owners do.

If you're taking shots of static subjects, then you have time to compose, look at the preview in liveview and fine tune the focus using an E-series dslr from Olympus. It's when you want to take a shot of a moving subject that shutter lag becomes an issue. In any case, based on the information provided, a camera with an articulating LCD screen sounds like it would be ideal. The E-620, coming out in May, might be just the camera that wouldmeet many of your requirements.

Regardless, sounds likea trip to a camera shop to check out which best meets your needs is in order.

Good luck in your hunt.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:17 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
I have some nice Pentax and old Minolta MC lenses, and also a long term loan of a nice Tamron 500/F8 mirror with Penatx mount. I don't think I can use them on the Sony Alpha though.
You can get adapters to use a variety of Manual Focus lenses. Many have 1.1x or 1.2x optical elements to allow focus to infinity, depending on the lens mount you're trying to use on a Maxxum/Alpha mount camera body like the A300.

Here's an inexpensive adapter for Pentax M42 screw mount lenses that lets you use them on a Maxxum mount body:

M42 Lens to Maxxum Body adapter at bhphotovideo.com

Here's one that should work with Minolta MC/MD mount lenses on a Maxxum/Alpha mount body:

Minolta MD lens to Maxxum Body adapter at bhphotovideo.com

More adapters are here:

General Brand Adapters at B&H

You'll find adapters listed on Ebay and elsewhere, too. Gadget Infinity has some for Sony Alpha/Minolta Maxxum mount here, including those for lenses in M42, K-Mount, Nikon F mount and more (and some have AF confirm):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/search...rch&page=1

Scroll down in this thread, and you'll find a section on using Manual Focus lenses discussing the different adapter types available for Maxxum/Alpha dSLR models.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2100

Here are some albums by dumont showing photos from various manual focus lenses on Konica Minolta or Sony dSLR models:

http://www.pbase.com/dumont/mflenses

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:56 PM   #10

And here is an example of something else that can be done with the a350's live view and the fold-out screen:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...65&forum_id=68
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote