Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1

I hope i'm in the right pplace with my request.

I want to learn how to copy and print photos that I find
online, in a chat room, a bulletin board, in Wikipedia, etc. Can you
help me find a "HOW TO" site that will teach me how to do this?? can
you help me thanks, Mel

swellmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:45 AM   #2

One way is to use a free program like Photoscape :idea:

use the capture facility to outline and copy the photo

then in the editor of photoscape paste your copy and

save the photo to your PC, from there you can use

software and a printer to printit to suitable paper:-)

Or you can use right mouse click on the photo you want,

and select from the menu 'save picture as', that is if the

web page will allow you to, and save the photo to your PC :idea:

ps. the VLC media player will allow you in it's menu to take

screen shots from any video it can play :idea:

A free program like page plus SE will allow you to arrange

and size photo's on a page before printing :idea:

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:11 AM   #3

swellmel wrote:
Quote:
...I want to learn how to copy and print photos that I find online...
Important Note: Do not use other people's images unless you are sure they won't mind, and if you do it for anything but strictly personal uses, always give a credit to the photographer and/or source. It is extremely annoying to see one'sown work popping up elsewhere without permission or acknowledgement, and it would be very easy for you to break copyright laws.

That said,folk in many of the more artistic and technical forums don't mind other people using these methods to produce 'improved' versions of theirimages in their replies, to assistin achieving a better result.

All that follows refers to Windows and Internet Explorer. Other systems will vary...
Method 1. Works for many posted photographic images. Right-click on the image and either (a) select "Save Picture As...", and save the image to a location on your own machine; or...

(b) ...select "Copy", which places the image on the Windows clipboard. Open an image editor, and "Paste" , or "Paste as new image"into it. You can then resize, crop, twiddle, print from that editor, e.g., Photoshop, PaintShopPro, or equivalents.

Method 2. (i) Maximise your browser window and the image in its window within it. You may use Explorer's 'zoom level' tool to enlarge the desired bit if you wish;
(ii) Press the 'Print Screen' or 'Prt Sc'key. This places the a copy of the whole screen, at screen resolution, on the Windows Clipboard;
(iii) Paste the image into any image editor that allows it, crop off the edges of the image to leave just the bit you want, and save it on your machine as an new image for amendment or printing.

Your question would have been better placed in the 'General Q&A' forum, rather than the specific Kodak one. You'd get many more replies.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:25 PM   #4

Most of the pictures you find in web pages are of little value for printing, unless you don't care at all about the quality.

Making a copy is easy, though. With your cursor somewhere on the picture, click the right mouse button and select the "save as" option. Use an easily found folder to save to. If you simply want to print directly from the web page, you also have that option in the right-click menu. Some web pages are written with a "no right click" opion, though so it may not always work.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:07 PM   #5
Administrator

swellmel

I've merged the thread you started in the Kodak Forum into the the one started in the General Q&A Forum, so that all of the replies will be in the same place.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:02 PM   #6

Brian: Do you mean that a copy from a website will not have the same quality for printing as a print made off of my hard drive or from the camera's memory card?? I Didn't think about quality before. my error. Can you give me a little more info about this quality issue????

Many thanks to all who responded Mel
swellmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:33 PM   #7

First, when you see an image on a web page, you can usually right-click on it and select either "Save Picture As..." or "Print Picture". (You can try it now, if you like, on my avatar on the left.)

Second, images that are displayed on a web page are usually of a reduced resolution so they can be displayed in a small portion of a web page. The images you may have taken with a digicam have a much higher resolution, and so will look much better when you print them.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8

swellmel wrote:
Quote:
Brian: Do you mean that a copy from a website will not have the same quality for printing as a print made off of my hard drive or from the camera's memory card?? I Didn't think about quality before. my error. Can you give me a little more info about this quality issue????
As with most things, the answer is "It depends." The way to determine this is again to use the right-click option and select 'properties'. This will tell you the size of the image in pixels and bytes. Most images on web pages are resized to small dimensions to fit on screen, and compressed heavily to reduce file size. This makes for poor quality when attempting to print. The picures on your camera's memory card are much larger, both in pixels and bytes, and will produce excellent quality prints. Much of this depends on the size you want to print at, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote