Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1

Help, what is causing the blue tint. Seems like all settings except "auto" white balance give this result.

Two photo's attached.

Thanks

Attached Images

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2

This is the other with the blue tint.
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:06 AM   #3

Test one doesn't look too bad. If it's too blue for your taste, do you mean that if you set your white balance to Daylight that it would look even more blue? I would be very surprised were that the case!

Test two was shot using manual white balance with a Tungsten setting. If you try shooting in day light with a Tungsten WB, you'll get that result. The Tungsten setting is supposed to add blue to compensate for shooting under tungsten-balanced light (like incandescent indoor lighting) which is quite yellow.

If you really are getting blue-cast photos using every WB setting but Auto, there must be something wrong with the camera.

Some standard WB presets present in most cameras actually warm the shot up -- like with the Shade, or Cloudy settings.

It might help to read through the section of your camera's manual that deals with WB settings to make sure that you're setting things up properly.

Do some more experimenting and see if that helps, then please let us know!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:59 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Auto should always be pretty close in most situations but sometimes you will want to use a preset or a custom setting. The Tungsten setting will certainly give a blue cast to daylight as it is trying to correct for the orange of such lights. You should find that either daylight orshade would have given a pretty close result in the outdoor setting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:17 AM   #5
Administrator

As already mentioned, it's supposed to look like that (blue cast) if you try to use Tungsten (Incandescent) white balance in daylight lighting.

The temperature of the lighting is very different for Tungsten versus Daylight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

So, if you try to use a White Balance setting that is inappropriate for the lighting temperature, you're going to get color casts.

Auto usually does a pretty good job in most outdoor lighting. If you want a bit warmer colors, try Cloudy or Shade settings as already mentioned.

In typical home interiors with incandescent lighting, the Tungsten setting can help to reduce the orange cast you may see with Auto WB. Just be careful to change it if you use the flash (since the temperature of the flash lighting is closer to daylight, you'll get a blue cast if you use a flash with that setting, or forget to change it to something else if you go back outside).

For more neutral colors (white looks white, regardless of lighting), use a Custom White Balance setting (your camera can measure the temperature of the lighting from a white or gray card, and apply the same RGB multipliers to other photos taken in the same lighting). Or, shoot RAW for more flexibility later (where you can set the WB as desired in the raw converter if the camera's WB is off any).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:08 AM   #6

Thanks for the input everyone. It was a case of broken photographer, not broken camera.
The first photo was with "auto" WB and the second I had inadvertently set to tungsten.
Guess I had better start using the camera more and pay a little attention to what I am doing LOL.

Thanks again.

Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:24 PM   #7

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. It was a case of broken photographer, not broken camera.
The first photo was with "auto" WB and the second I had inadvertently set to tungsten.
Guess I had better start using the camera more and pay a little attention to what I am doing LOL.

Thanks again.
You have a nice camera. You MAY find it fun to shoot in JPEG and RAW and play with the RAW image in a post processing program. I get as much of a kick in post processing as I did trying to capture the image. There are certainly time I saved something from nothing. I don't even worry about white balance, as that is something I adjust later. That way its the way I want every time.

There are several cheap or free programs to get you started and I'd guess Sony packaged one with the camera also.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:15 AM   #8

Yes it is a nice camera and thus far I am very pleased with it's performance.
Sony did provide software for processing RAW format and I have yet to play with that feature.
More to learn.
fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:

Thanks again.
You have a nice camera. You MAY find it fun to shoot in JPEG and RAW and play with the RAW image in a post processing program. I get as much of a kick in post processing as I did trying to capture the image. There are certainly time I saved something from nothing. I don't even worry about white balance, as that is something I adjust later. That way its the way I want every time.

There are several cheap or free programs to get you started and I'd guess Sony packaged one with the camera also.

Greg