Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2003, 10:17 AM   #1

Default I need help from a creative photographer

I have a TFP coming up this weekend and I have been doing my TFP's outside or driving a distance to a nice indoor area that is quite lovely. Because of time constraints and because the weather is supposed to be ugly, I am going to have to set something up in my home. I need help with a last minute "mini studio" and need to know the best thing to get for a backdrop. I am going to rent a light set for $20 a day (which sounds fairly reasonable, I guess) but the studio doesn't have a backdrop to rent. I have called all over and can't find any to rent. Anyone have any bright ideas of where I can get a large piece of "something" to use? Of course I would like black AND a light color but NOT white...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am beginning to panic. Thanks...

Toria
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:20 AM   #2

You could use a colored flat sheet.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:23 AM   #3

You might look for stores which make/sell fabrics for curtains. They would be large enough and come in a variety of colors (and even some patterns.) They might be too heavy and expensive, though.

Another thing to consider are sheets. If you co to a seconds store, like Home Goods or TJ Max, they might have some fairly odd patterns. And if you got them for a single bead it would be lighter.

Just thinking creatively.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 1:26 PM   #4

Hey thanks guys...

I have thought of sheets, but I just think they look like...well...sheets...*L* I was just hoping that there was something out there that the pros used in a pinch that I might not know about. Fabric is too expensive, like you said, but I might go to Goodwill and look at what they have. I don't even know where you can buy large pieces of canvas or muslim? Would that be a fabric store? (I don't sew) Thanks for your help...

Toria
Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:01 PM   #5

Default Hey Girl!

I've picked up several 6x9 pieces of black & burgundy polartec fabric from both Hobby Lobby & Wal Mart (in their fabric areas) for right at $20.00...can't beat that. They are light enough that you can pin them up and have a nice texture to them. You might also think about getting a large scrap piece of linoleum...the back will be solid white (but can be painted) & it will stand up on it's own...leaned slightly.

Old buildings work well in bad weather too...

Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:43 PM   #6

Default Re: I need help from a creative photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria
I have a TFP coming up this weekend
Silly question... What's a TFP?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 3:13 PM   #7

What size for the backdrop? You can use cardboard sheets or heavy paper.
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 3:49 PM   #8

Awesome suggestions with the Polartec and the linoleum! See...???? That's what I'm talkin bout....men always have these "guy brains with guy ideas"... :lol:

I'm sorry...TFP is short for "time for prints" which is where you take a model's photographs in exchange for their time. You don't charge them and they don't charge you. You both get prints for your portfolios. Actually, what I do should be called TFCD (time for CD) because I burn all of my digital shoots onto a CD for my models and then take 35 mm shots as well. If they want any of the actual prints, they have to split the cost of development of the film. This is a good deal for both of us. It actually is a BETTER deal for the model, but I don't feel that I am good enough yet to charge even for the purchase of the film. My dream is to be a fashion photographer. Here are a couple of photographs from some of the models I have done. Remember...I am an amateur...*L*

[img]

[img]

[img][/img]
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:34 AM   #9

Quote:
TFP is short for "time for prints"
Okay, thank you for explaining

Quote:
Remember...I am an amateur...*L*
Wow! If you're an amateur, then I'm pre-amateur! (is that a word?!) I wouldn't have a clue how to pose someone for a picture.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 10:31 AM   #10

ops:

Thanks so much for the nice compliment....that really means a lot to me....

Really I have only been doing this a few months and am learning this all by reading books and asking questions and taking advice when given. With the poses, I go through magazine after magazine and find interesting poses. I put them in plastic sheet protectors and then into a binder. Then I take them with me to the TFP and let the girls go through them and we pick out poses we like and try to re-create them. (That is the best way to learn to photograph when you are trying to do models) Since the models I work with have never modeled before, they don't know how to pose either, so it works for both of us and you never have to worry about "taking someone elses idea" because no two photos will ever look the same. Once I get a bit better, I will (hopefully) know how to pose them on my own but, until then, I will use my trusty book!

Thanks so much for your comments...I really appreciate them...

Toria