Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:32 AM   #11

So, from the few here and my list on my other post, have I done an ok job of picking out models that are worthy of you all?

I started small but with all of your help, have tried to make a very informed choice. That is one reason I haven't bought yet either, want to make sure I buy from a good place too

your friend,

Melanie
melmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Administrator

There is no perfect camera, and you'll find pros and cons to any of them. You may want to try out models you're considering in a store to make sure you are happy with things like size, weight, ergonomics/control layout, etc., after you compare review conclusions for differences in areas like performance, image quality and more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:57 AM   #13

I realize this might not be the proper place to ask this but didn't want to start a new post just for this and in my search, I couldn't find it addressed.

Refurbished: I realize the warranty is sometimes less but are they worthy of consideration? or best to avoid?

Your friend,

Melanie
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Administrator

I'd look at them on a case by case basis (manufacturer, model, how much savings over a new one, etc).

Most of the time, a factory refurbished camera (not refurbished by a third party) will be in like new condition (and I'd trust some camera brands more than others in this area). But, they usually come with a shorter warranty period, and you have to weigh the cost of a refurbished camera as compared to a new one).

I have bought Nikon factory refurbished gear without issues in the past (and so have a number of our members). But, you do see reports of failures outside of the shorter (usually 90 days) warranty from time to time, too (where a new model would have still been under warranty).

I've bought lenses that way, too (including my Minolta 24-35mm f/3.5-4.5 and 28mm f/2 AF lenses, used my with Maxxum 5D and Sony A700). Ditto for my computers (for example, I've purchased my last 3 computers in refurbished condition from http://www.dell.com/outlet )

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:57 PM   #15

Refurbs come in many shapes and sizes.

Xmas refurbs.... Mom gets 9 cameras from the kids and grandkids and returns 8 of the 9 cameras. 7 of the8 returned cameras may not have been opened, the 8th was opened and tried against the 9th (which she kept).

There are the "used it for a week" refurbs. I bought it, I tried it, I didn't like it, I returned it.

How about "warranty return" refurbs for little old ladies who got tired of trying to fit a CaNiken lens on a Sontax body so she returned it.

Then there are really "good"warranty returns generating refurbs:

My cameradon't work... send a new one, return the old one..... with an extrance and exitbullet hole through the case.

The dropped, kicked and punted camera.

The dropped in the tolietcamera.

These are all good examples of real warranty returns.... and cameras being processed for refurbs.

Obviously some refurbs are easier to process than others. Some brand process their refurbs better than others.

BTW, some camera importers (aka Sony.USA, Canon.USA, Nikon.USA etc) have been known to sell excess inventory as "reburbs". Cheaper than marking down ALL of theirinventory and just as effective of cleaning out the excess inventory right before the new model year camera arrives.

Some will argue that refurbs have gone through a higher level of inspection. Maybe true. But the shorter warranty is also a bigissue.

You need to judge the refurb $ in relation to the real product $ as well as therisk of a manufacturingdefect versus theease of finding the defectquickly.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:10 AM   #16

Thank you but HEY!!!!!!!! I am one of those "little old ladies" :blah::blah::blah:StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:

Xmas refurbs.... Mom gets 9 cameras from the kids and grandkids and returns 8 of the 9 cameras. 7 of the8 returned cameras may not have been opened, the 8th was opened and tried against the 9th (which she kept).

There are the "used it for a week" refurbs. I bought it, I tried it, I didn't like it, I returned it.

How about "warranty return" refurbs for little old ladies who got tired of trying to fit a CaNiken lens on a Sontax body so she returned it.

My cameradon't work... send a new one, return the old one..... with an extrance and exitbullet hole through the case.

These are all good examples of real warranty returns.... and cameras being processed for refurbs.

Obviously some refurbs are easier to process than others. Some brand process their refurbs better than others.

BTW, some camera importers (aka Sony.USA, Canon.USA, Nikon.USA etc) have been known to sell excess inventory as "reburbs". Cheaper than marking down ALL of theirinventory and just as effective of cleaning out the excess inventory right before the new model year camera arrives.

Some will argue that refurbs have gone through a higher level of inspection. Maybe true. But the shorter warranty is also a bigissue.

You need to judge the refurb $ in relation to the real product $ as well as therisk of a manufacturingdefect versus theease of finding the defectquickly.

Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:18 PM   #17

melmg wrote:
Quote:
Thank you but HEY!!!!!!!! I am one of those "little old ladies" :blah::blah::blah:StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:

Did you try to mount a CaNiken lens on a Sontax body? Finally figured out it wasn''t going to work?

PS: I was in the tire store one day. A kid (meaning a young dude not old enough to shave) was complaining about the rims he bought from a used rim seller (ebay or whatever) not fitting his car. The staff was having a good laugh.... seems Ford, GM, Toyota etc do not use the same lug nut patterns. The kid had purchased rims with thewrong lug nut pattern. Kept whining about "can you do something to make them work"?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote