Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Witch Camera?

Well im in the Uk and after a camera for about 150, I have looked about and found the 5 cameras listed in my price range, of course more suggestions on cameras are welcome, ive been recommended the Cannon Powershot A60, but I like the sound of the Sony DSC-P52, anyway ive listed the 5 cameras I have been looking at, and there all linked to websites with some of the specs on them. I hope somebody can help me make up my mind!

Fuji Finepix A203

Sony DSC-P32

Sony DSC-P52

Cannon PowerShot A300

Cannon PowerShot A60
Zaphan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2003, 8:35 PM   #2

Zaphan58, I use a Canon G2, but my husband, who is by no means a photography enthusiast, has a Canon Powershot, and just loves it - especially has he can hook it on his belt next to his cell phone. It's the size of a pack of cigarettes.

His shots are terrific and he just points and shoots.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:08 AM   #3

So witch would you say would be more worth my while, is the extra optical zoom worth more than an extra 1MP?

2 MP 3x Optical Zoom vs 3MP 2xOptical Zoom ?
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:38 PM   #4

bump
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:05 PM   #5

If you do not plan on printing any larger than 5X7, the 2mp camera will work ok.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:29 PM   #6

There's no need to bump (people will see the new messages when they enter the forum)...you have to give people time to answer; many people don't get to the email until the evening...10 hours isn't enough time. Also, don't forget not everyone is on your time zone...to my time zone you wrote that at 4am in the morning, and on the west coast of the States it would have been 1am!

You should try each of those cameras to see what limits you can live with. Personally, I chose a 10x zoom camera, so your choices would be too limiting to me, but I'd chose the camera with more optical zoom.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
If you do not plan on printing any larger than 5X7, the 2mp camera will work ok.
Yeah I see what you mean but all those cameras I listed are all around the same price, so i'm wondering if the extra 1x optical magnification on the cannon is worth more than an extra 1MP on the sony, camera wise. I just noticed the sony doesnt have a macro feature, so im now leaning more towards either the powershot A60 or the FinePix A203, but when it comes to cameras I really have no idea what im looking at to be honest. :lol:

Mike_PEAT - Yeah I didnt think about the time zone difference, it sank near the bottom so I though id give it a bump, i'll wait a couple of days before bumbing next time. :P
Old Oct 31, 2003, 9:05 AM   #8

I would proably buy the Canon with more zoom. My sister bought a Sony on clearance table at Walmart. She fell in love with the concept of the digital camera. She then used a friends camera with a 10X zoom and needed one. I believe you will enjoy the larger zoom more than the resolution of 1 more mp. I would recommend buying a camera with at least a 6X zoom.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 2:45 PM   #9

Right ok I see where your coming from, I here optical zoom is the way to go is digital zoom really that bad?
Old Oct 31, 2003, 2:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I had heard (from many sources) that a 2MP camera can do a decent 8x10. Please correct me if that is wrong. I don't want to go around giving out false info.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote