Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:23 PM   #1

Default Which is the fastest camera for action shots between these 3

hey there everyone.

as u know i collect and breed reptiles and thus take a lotta pics during feeding time.
and as u can imagine, the snakes r quite fast when they strike at their prey.

i was looking at the nikon 5700, and was ready to buy it when i saw a long post on how slow it is for action shots, then decided to wait a while.

so ive boiled it down to these three.
the canon G3, fuji S5000/S7000, Sony F717.

all of these have above average pic quality, and have a decent zoom range, but which of these from your experiences would u say is the fastest for action shots.

your input is greatly appreciated.

cheers for now.
Bryce.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2003, 2:55 PM   #2

Truthfully, you won't be happy with any of these for your intended purpose.

Either wait for the Sony 828 or buy one of the dSLR cameras like the Canon 300D, 10D or Fuji S2 or Nikon D100. The problem with any of the present prosumer class fixed lens cameras is that they don't autofocus fast enough. Add some shutter delay (shutter lag) to this and you have an inability to both focus and snap the shutter in sufficient time to get unanticipated action shots.

You can half-press the shutter to focus and set metering, then press it the rest of the way when the "action" happens. This way works fairly well for sports where you can enjoy a degree of shot "anticipation." But when dealing with quick animal or reptile movements, you really have too much delay to get decent shots.

Of the cameras you mentioned, the F717 may be the best overall. Not because it has a faster shutter (lag time) or even greatly faster autofocus - but because it has a more "accurate" autofocus requiring less "hunting." It uses a holographic red laser pattern or an infrared beam for close in subjects which can more precisely determine the best autofocus without the normal "tacking" (overshoot, undershoot, lock) which most fixed lens digital cameras have. But even with this advantage, it's nowhere near as fast as even the lower end dSLR cameras like the Canon 300D.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 3:05 PM   #3

What type of action shot are you trying to capture. You can develop techniques with each of these cameras to make them work for action shots but it will take practice.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 3:31 PM   #4

The Sony and Canon both have f2 lenses Ė an f stop faster than the Fujis. For capturing movement in available light they are both good. The Sony has an excellent focus system which has already been mentioned.

For getting the focus right with something that moves during the shutter lag a tracking or continuous focus is a big help. It focuses right up to shutter release allowing you to get less lag by pre focusing on something moving. I donít see it listed for either the Sony of Canon. The new 828 lists continuous focus as a feature. The Minolta A1 and F300 have it but the lenses arenít as fast. The lag times on both are fast with pre-focus.

If you are trying to freeze motion in the shot without flash the faster lens is a plus. For eliminating blurred pictures from movement during the lag the continuous or tracking focus is a big help. Maybe someone knows of a camera with a f2.0 lens and continuous focus.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:16 AM   #5

hey there everybody.
thanks for the replies.

gibson...
i mostly try to get shots of the snake striking at the prey which most of the time just has to be guess work on when to hit the shutter release button because they r way too quick.

but thats the main feeding pics that i try to take.

as to the suggestions of me gettign the 300D...
thats what i am trying to get my hands on, but here in South Africa, Canon SA only brough in a 100 of these babies and they were all sold out within a few hours of them landing at the stores.

the only other way is to deal with soemone who imports directly and not through canon themselves which is a bit bad because of guarantees and that sort of stuff.

but the 300d is definately on my list.
the reaosn i mention the other 3 is because i wanted one camera for everyday use, and the 300d for the like special occasion shots like holidays and weekends away and that sort of thing.

but if the dslr is the fastest, then i might as well as not waste my time and money on these other oners then hey??

thanks for the suggestions.
any more suggestioons are still very welcome.
cheers for now.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:14 AM   #6

My Nikon 5700 will arrive tomorrow. My son just bought the S5000 and the camera is used mostly to take pictures of his 2 1/2 year old daughter. She is not as quick as snake but very active. I also have the Olympus C740Z and it takes great pics. With the long zoom cameras you will have to anticipate the action shot.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote