Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:16 AM   #1

Default Help me choose...

Newly seperated from the wife, who took my Olympus D450 when she left and says she lost it...I'm looking for a replacement and don't have much money to spend...I would like
- 3 Megapixel
- 3x (min) optical zoom
- I like the 30 second clip with sound feature of the a70(compromise of purchasing a camcorder to record the kiddies)
- Some way to do simple portraits of me and my 3 kids (without the wife, and without having to go to a professional photographer) that would give me a way to do a live preview before snapping the picture and a flash that would avoid redeye

I like the Cannon A70 but I don't know if I could do a preview or remote snap and i don't know how it handles redeye. I've seen cameras with reversable LCD displays but I don't know if those cameras are of any respectable quality.

Sorry for my lack of digital camera knowledge...please help - Tom
Schematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:24 AM   #2

The Canon a60/a70 (and other powershot models I believe...) all come with a remote capture software program that you could use to do what you wish.

The catch is that the camera has to be hooked via usb cable to your PC, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

The remote capture program displays a live preview on the computer screen, so you could arrange yourself and your kids facing the PC, with the camera on a tripod on/near your PC aimed at you. You'll be able to see yourselves on the screen in the preview window.

If you have a mouse cable extension, you could conceivably hold the mouse discretely beside you and snap the photo when you wish, or you could just set the remote capture program to take photos every 10 seconds or so. Pose yourselves as you wish while the camera snaps away, and then pick the ones which you like.

Note... I've done this before... I recommend placing the camera on a mini tripod directly in front of the computer screen, or almost so. If the camera is off to one side... it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep kids looking at the camera instead of checking themselves out on the screen. You'll have shots of the kids looking out the corner of their eyes at the PC... not exactly what you wanted I'm sure .

Good luck,
Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:30 AM   #3

A couple more thoughts...

I forgot to address your redeye question. I have an A70, and I've made a lot of shots that do show severe redeye. Unfortunately, any small camera will have this problem. The reason is that the flash is very close to the lens... this means that reflections of the flash are in a straight line to reflect back off the retina into the lens.

You mentioned you're on a tight budget... in my reply I assumed that you had access to a PC, but that may not be true. The A70 does have a self timer/delay feature... you can have the picture taken either 2 seconds or 10 seconds after you press the shutter button. As for previewing the photo, well, you could set up the tripod so that a mirror is behind the camera... the image would be awfully tiny but you could at least make sure you're all in the frame .

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 1:22 PM   #4

Actually she didn't take the computers when she left and i could do what you're referring to.

I was at Ritz camera yesterday where they showed me an accessory flash device that had a photo sensor that would trigger when it detected a flash from a camera like the A70. You could relocate the flash away from the camera, and theoretically reduce red eye. Is it true?

By the way, I think I'll go with the A70. Thanks - Tom
Schematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:15 PM   #5

They are called slaves, they attach to the flash and fire the flash when they see the light from another camera's flash. Some cameras require a special type of slave because the camera has a preflash (a flash that fires ~100ms before the main flash).

My own flash, Metz 34-CS2 Digital, has the slave built-in...I bought this flash because my camera has a proprietary flash socket and it would be more expensive to buy the proper cable and bracket I'd need to use a normal flash.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote