Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli
He gets roughly 20hrs a week at $35/40 hr. Which is ok if you can get steady work but he doesnt.
20 hrs @ $40/hr is still good
Quote:
I only have a 2MP camera so my prints cant be 8x10s
I have read many places that 2MP can do 8x10's. Can someone please confirm or deny this?
Quote:
Anyway....as photography as a career? I think it would be fun. I meet a lovely girl one day on one of my many hikes who works as a location scout for the film industry. She gets paid decently for going around various locations and taking photos of them.
Hey, that sounds cool!

The main thing is... I have been in IT for about 12 years, so since I have 12 years experience I am getting good pay. If I started a new career I would be starting over, but as you said above, your friend gets $40 an hour (but is that US or CAN $$$?). Now only if you could do that 40 hrs/wk with benefits, etc...

Imagine if you had shots like these and got paid for them!

http://tinyurl.com/tay1
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:52 PM   #22

tkmckay - I love your avatar! I used to live in Colorado Springs and I just love the mountains!
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:56 PM   #23

Quote:
I only have a 2MP camera so my prints cant be 8x10s
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
I have read many places that 2MP can do 8x10's. Can someone please confirm or deny this?
Can't say if there will be a visible difference between a 2mp 8x10 or a 3mp 8x10, 2mp is the minimum needed for 8x10, and that leaves no room for cropping. Some people may prefer the extra DPI you get with a 3mp print...I do fine with my 2mp camera.

However, if we take the original subject into consideration, a 6mp dSLR with full size CCD, or even a digital back for a medium format would be better suited for superior picture quality. I've seen pictures from these types of cameras that blow away consumer digital cameras (and it shouldn't be forgotten that most of the cameras that are talked about here are consumer cameras with numerous defects).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 1:11 AM   #24

Quote:
tkmckay - I love your avatar! I used to live in Colorado Springs and I just love the mountains!
Thank you for the kind words....its actually inspired by melanie's avatar. I don't really care to be the subect of pictures so I figure its the best solution.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 3:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmckay
Thank you for the kind words....its actually inspired by melanie's avatar. I don't really care to be the subect of pictures so I figure its the best solution.
LOL :lol: Let's all go out and get someone to take pictures of our backs to the camera!
Old Nov 2, 2003, 11:54 PM   #26

Quote:
LOL :lol: Let's all go out and get someone to take pictures of our backs to the camera!
:lol: What you don't see is in my right hand is the remote that came with my c750uz that I used to snap a few shots including the one for the avatar. The camera was mounted on a small tripod which I carry around in addition to the full size one attached to my pack.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmckay
What you don't see is in my right hand is the remote that came with my c750uz that I used to snap a few shots including the one for the avatar.
Isn't that your TV remote?

I could just put my cam on the tripod and use the self timer and get the same results.

Getting back on the original topic... There's a big flea market in my town. I am going to look into what it costs to rent a table there and display some pix. Also, this Thanksgiving is going to be a BIG family gathering and I have an Aunt that does professional photography and a cousin who majored in photo journalism, so I am going to pick their brains and see what they have to say.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:29 AM   #28

You carry TWO tripods!? I have to lecture myself constantly to carry even one of them. I bought a sturdy but very lightweight tripod, thinking it was just the heft of the old one that kept me from taking it out of the car's trunk. I was wrong. My husband suggested creating some sort of carrying strap for it so I wouldn't be forced to hold it in my hand. If I made such a strap, the tripod would still annoy me, which is sad since a tripod almost inevitably improves the quality of a photo, allowing for slower shutter speeds.

Anyone have a solution for the Dreaded Tripod Dilemma?

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 11:38 AM   #29

bcoultry

I could jokingly say that you need to convince the husband to carry it.

A bag or strap is the (to me) logical next step. After that, you might consider a backpack like thing where you can strap the tripod to the backpack. The backpack is nice because you can carry everything in it too (food, windbreaker, extra batteries...)

If the tripod has a good head on it, you might consider carrying the camera attached to the head. That way, it doesn't seem like you're carrying 2 things (camera and 'pod) but instead carrying only 1 thing. Obviously, if you are going to do that make damn sure you get a head with a good locking system so the camera won't fall off. I would also recommend a quick release system (most good tripod makers have them) to allow you to get the camera off the 'pod when you need that quick picture and setting up the 'pod would just get in the way.

I intentionally got a camera with Image stabilization so I wouldn't have to carry a tripod. The pictures are of good quality... but not great. I'm a perfectionist... so I got a very good, light tripod and carry the camera attached to it. It's annoying, but it has improved the quality.

PrmseKpr
Depending on how often they have the flea market, you might want to go to one first. Check out who is there photography-wise and see what gets the attention. I'd say that you should talk to someone who has a table, but that is an iffy thing because you're really gathering intel to take business away from them... feels kinda scuzzy to me. But by talking some, you might find that they aren't good for that kind of stuff... or they might be great.

Eric

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 11:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
You carry TWO tripods!? I have to lecture myself constantly to carry even one of them. I bought a sturdy but very lightweight tripod, thinking it was just the heft of the old one that kept me from taking it out of the car's trunk.

Anyone have a solution for the Dreaded Tripod Dilemma?
There are lightweight/light duty tripods available which fold up VERY small. Here's a friend's page showing the tripod (near the top of the page) both fully extended and collapsed:
http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/demonstrations

I took it with me to a fair, and then afterwards forgot I still had it in my napsack and was carrying it all around the city (without my camera).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote