Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:52 PM   #31

Eric--

Why, of course! Why didn't I think of the husband-carrying system?

My tripod has a quick-release, and I keep the head attached to the camera, but I still leave the @#!&* tripod in the trunk of the car. As far as carrying supplies goes, I looked for a good photographer's jacket but none had what I wanted, so I took one of my husband's old army shirts (nearly as heavy as canvas), cut off the sleeves, then used the sleeve fabric to make pockets of the right size and placed just where I wanted them, finishing off the whole thing as a vest. When I have all the pockets filled, I'm too heavy to climb stairs. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Mike--

I tried someone else's collapsible tripod, but I kept worrying that I or the wind would knock it over. My Oly E-20 made it truly top-heavy.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
I tried someone else's collapsible tripod, but I kept worrying that I or the wind would knock it over. My Oly E-20 made it truly top-heavy.
Next time I'll look at your equipment list...the E-20 is definately too much camera for it. Personally, I don't even like using my C-700 on it...I mostly use it for my slave flash!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:43 PM   #33

There's another alternative--a beanbag. Of course, this assumes there's something upon which to PUT the beanbag. I made one for myself, but I was way too enthusiastic and used two entire pounds of beans, thinking, "What's two pounds? I lift way heavier things than that." This was faulty thinking, and it turned out to be a bean-brained idea.

--Barbara
Old Nov 3, 2003, 11:45 PM   #34

Do 3 bean bags = a tripod :lol: :shock:
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
There's another alternative--a beanbag.
Actually, you're not the first:
http://www.thepod.ca/

But this one (with an actual tripod screw to screw your camera onto) is filled with plastic beans, so it weighs only 1lb and it costs $15US.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 12:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Actually, you're not the first:
http://www.thepod.ca/
That's wonderful! And only $15? Have you bought one? If so, what's your opinion? If not, why not?

--Barbara
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:48 PM   #37

I have one, but I never put it through its paces yet...most of my shots I either do handheld, or with a tripod (I don't have many opprotiunities where I can sit the camera on a wall). The Pod does what it says nicely though.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 4:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
I have one, but I never put it through its paces yet...most of my shots I either do handheld, or with a tripod (I don't have many opprotiunities where I can sit the camera on a wall). The Pod does what it says nicely though.
I tried contacting their sales team via the e-mail address on their site. That was Wednesday morning, so far no response. I tend to shy away from places that don't answer e-mail on a timely basis.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 6:07 AM   #39

Personally, I think not buying a product just because a company doesn't respond to an email within 24 hours is not reasonable, don't you think?

Personally (after almost 20 years of online experience) it's reasonable to give a business 5 business days to answer an email before complaining.

BTW, The POD is available at companies like B&H Photo if you don't care to purchase directly from thepod.ca
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Personally, I think not buying a product just because a company doesn't respond to an email within 24 hours is not reasonable, don't you think?
Depends how large a company The Pod is. Recently my wife and I were looking for a B & B to stay in for a weekend getaway. I e-mailed several inns about their accomodations. A few answered within 4 hours others answered within 8 and one or two answered a week later. You can guess which one I did not select. Now of course that really isn't a very good example because The Pod doesn't have any competition. If they did, they would put more emphasis on answering mail faster. Any retailer will tell you that if they don't make contact with a customer within 30 seconds of them entering the store, they have lost the sale.

Quote:
Personally (after almost 20 years of online experience) it's reasonable to give a business 5 business days to answer an email before complaining.
Commercial businesses were probably not online 20 years ago, considering that the WWW wasn't really invented until 1991.
(unless you are including BBS's in your online experience)

Quote:
BTW, The POD is available at companies like B&H Photo if you don't care to purchase directly from thepod.ca
Thank you.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote