Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2003, 6:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
... My tripod has a quick-release, and I keep the head attached to the camera, ...
I have considered that a bad idea ever since the time I had my camera attached to the tripod, tripod over my shoulder, and turned around near a tree. I was turning slowly enough there wasn't any damage to the camera when it hit the tree, but that was the last time I left the camera on the tripod while walking through the woods.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 8:27 AM   #42

PrmseKpr
Quote:
Commercial businesses were probably not online 20 years ago, considering that the WWW wasn't really invented until 1991.
(unless you are including BBS's in your online experience)
As a user of usenet/netnews & email since... 1984, he could have been "online" for 20 years or more. Sure, it wasn't the same as the "net" we have today, but you could send email, post requests for business related information. As you point out BBS's were also around. And some of those were very elaborate.... easily big enough to be considered "online."

Depending on the company, I would be a bit annoyed if they didn't respond within 24-hours. In the case of a B&B, it does show something. Of course, what it shows their understanding of the market and how to use the internet as a tool for their business. How they respond in the email is what really matters. Were they friendly, did they answer your question (and give you a bit more?) did their attituded seem a good fit (if you're staying awhile.) All of that kinda stuff.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 9:08 AM   #43

Quote:
I have considered that a bad idea ever since the time I had my camera attached to the tripod
Bill--

No, I don't leave the camera attached to the tripod. The head of the tripod is attached to the camera so that, just in case I want to use the tripod, I can quickly attach the camera. This requires, of course, a quick-release head. Perhaps your tripod doesn't have one of these? If not, it's a worthwhile investment. Ah, the money we're willing to spend on these cameras, eh?

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:08 AM   #44

Quote:
The head of the tripod is attached to the camera so that, just in case I want to use the tripod, I can quickly attach the camera. This requires, of course, a quick-release head.
yeah, but then I can't get to the battery/SD compartment
Quote:
eh?
I thought you were from New York?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:20 AM   #45

PrmseKpr

To get back to the topic of this thread.... You might find this discussion thread very interesting. It's about a person who takes pictures of soccer games and sells (or tries, as you'll see) his pictures. I've only read a few of the posts, but I immediately thought of you.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6577994

It's not exactly what you want to do, but it looks like there are some good lessons to be learned from it (assuming it doesn't digress in to name calling and other bad stuff that happens there some times.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:56 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
PrmseKpr

To get back to the topic of this thread.... You might find this discussion thread very interesting. It's about a person who takes pictures of soccer games and sells (or tries, as you'll see) his pictures. I've only read a few of the posts, but I immediately thought of you.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6577994

It's not exactly what you want to do, but it looks like there are some good lessons to be learned from it (assuming it doesn't digress in to name calling and other bad stuff that happens there some times.)

Eric

Eric,

Thank you very much. Very informative!

What do you guys (and gals) think of this?

http://www.shutterfly.com/business/galleries.jsp
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:23 AM   #47

The Shutterfly site certainly has possibilities, but in the end, don't most people either look in the Yellow Pages or go on the advice of friends when hiring photographers? Or am I a hopeless old fuddy-duddy? Don't answer that.

("Eh" is the polite upstate version of the casual downstate "huh." )
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:43 PM   #48

Quote:
The Shutterfly site certainly has possibilities, but in the end, don't most people either look in the Yellow Pages or go on the advice of friends when hiring photographers? Or am I a hopeless old fuddy-duddy? Don't answer that.
Well, the idea with the Shutterfly site is to give out the URL on your business cards or to refer people to so they can buy your prints off the net.
Quote:
("Eh" is the polite upstate version of the casual downstate "huh." )
I was basically saying "I thought you were from NY and not Canada, eh?"
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:25 PM   #49

Freelance press photography (especially the more paparazzi stuff) seems to be a pretty random business. A guy I know that does it is out shooting every day, but about half the money he makes each year comes from two or three photos that sell big, and they always seem to occur in situations where arriving 30 seconds earlier or later means he'd have completely missed the opportunity (things like he gets a tip-off celebrity A is at a certain restaurant. He waits till they leave, gets the photo - 50 in the bag - then on the way back to his car sees celebrity B getting chucked out of a club with his trousers round his ankles, grabs a quick shot and manages to sell it the tabloids for 5000).
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 6:39 PM   #50

Default Making Money From Your Camera

I've used my website (below) to sell some prints, but mostly my sales come from either my portfolio or framing a print for colleagues to see in my office (very good mark-up if you get the frames on sale and do your own printing - I use an Epson 2200). Buying fine art photography is a very tactile, three-dimensional experience. You have to make an emotional contact with a buyer to get them to spend a minimum of $75. That's why I believe photos don't seem to sell very well on ebay. ALSO - try donating a few framed pieces to a charity silent bid auction. It can be a real boost to your self confidence when your work sells. I've donated four framed pieces in the past year, average selling price has been $180 with my cost around $30 per piece, which is all tax deductible. You also can get a feel for what people want to buy. ALSO - produce something unusual. I've had good luck with panoramics and three hole frames using same- theme photos. I'm not quitting my day job, but I've made enough to buy my last two cameras (including a Canon 300D) and pay for my supplies. Good luck!

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote