Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2003, 3:17 AM   #51

Default Re: Making Money From Your Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by fporch
ALSO - try donating a few framed pieces to a charity silent bid auction. It can be a real boost to your self confidence when your work sells.
That's one of the best pieces of advice I've heard in a long time...not only do you get the benefits, so does the charity (assuming it sells).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:08 AM   #52

Another potential thing to do is to see if any of the local libraries have small galleries. Even your school library might have an area. I know several of the town libraries around me do (ok, I'll admit it, they are rather wealthy towns.) But unlike real galleries (where you have to have a name) itís much easier to get your work shown there. They show all kinds of stuff (paintings, photos, and sculpture.)

Youíll have the initial investment of the frames and good prints, but often you can put up contact info and a price sheet. Iím thinking of trying thisÖ but Iím not really going into it with the expectation to sell anything. Just to get the positive feedback.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 2:42 PM   #53

I have really gleaned a lot of advice from this topic. The charity auction is a good one (too bad there was a big one in October, I'll have to wait until next year).

Now, my question is what is a good processing/print service to use? Costco only charges $0.19/print (4x6) but those details near the edge of the actual print get cropped out at 4x6, would 5x7 be better? Does anyone have any experience with places like ShutterFly?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 6:46 PM   #54

THX Mike - Be sure to get the nonprofit to send you a letter stating the sold value of your work so you can document the donation and make the correct tax calcualtion.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:41 PM   #55

I believe that Costco and Walmart generally use the Fuji Frontier printer. They are very good. No matter where you go do, find out what printer they use and what paper. If you do it at a knowledgeable shop (i.e. probably not Costco or Walmart) they will probably know and tell you.

Your goal is to get a profile for their printer/paper combination. This is crucial if you want to take your pictures that extra 10% further. It should be said that for many people, a 10% boost isn't much... but if your pictures are already very good, you don't want to reduce their quality by having the yellows be a little orange (for example.) My dad paints water colors. He scanned a picture and I had a friend print it on his Epson 2200. He made several printouts including one on the original paper. The one that looked the closest to the original was the paper he had a profile for. Make sure you get a proper profile, and a good shop should be able to provide you with one.

Eric
Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fporch
THX Mike - Be sure to get the nonprofit to send you a letter stating the sold value of your work so you can document the donation and make the correct tax calcualtion.
Depends on how they operate...I know my mother donated a quilt she made to a yearly charity auction, and they sent her a receipt for the *appraised* value...it did sell for less, but that's the way this auction does it because they measure time and materials.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 3:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I believe that Costco and Walmart generally use the Fuji Frontier printer. They are very good. No matter where you go do, find out what printer they use and what paper. If you do it at a knowledgeable shop (i.e. probably not Costco or Walmart) they will probably know and tell you.

Your goal is to get a profile for their printer/paper combination. This is crucial if you want to take your pictures that extra 10% further. It should be said that for many people, a 10% boost isn't much... but if your pictures are already very good, you don't want to reduce their quality by having the yellows be a little orange (for example.) My dad paints water colors. He scanned a picture and I had a friend print it on his Epson 2200. He made several printouts including one on the original paper. The one that looked the closest to the original was the paper he had a profile for. Make sure you get a proper profile, and a good shop should be able to provide you with one.

Eric

The quality of the Costco prints are excellent, but Costco is cropping my pix in order to get it into 4x6. So I guess do I need to format the pix so it looks good in 4x6 before taking it to Costco?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 4:23 PM   #58

Fundamentally, I don't believe the croping is a problem with the printer, but how they are using it. I've heard others say the same thing. I don't know what is up, nor how to fix it (other than making your picture larger so they crop meaningless data... not fun.)

Eric