Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Making money with my camera

Well, I'm totally burnt out at my "real job" (working IT/INFOSEC, in NoVA just in case anyone has any openings for me! ) and I'm ready to just walk into the boss' office and give him my resignation, but I can't afford to do that. Are there any steady paying, full time, photography jobs out there? I'm certainly not a professional, so I guess I would be starting out on the bottom rung.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:27 PM   #2

Default No...

There aren't...unless you want to be a weasel working for Sears or Olan Mills.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:48 PM   #3

Default Re: No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
There aren't...unless you want to be a weasel working for Sears or Olan Mills.
Yeah, and I'm sure that won't pay the bills! If some news agency wants to pay me to drive around town or to be available to cover breaking news, just let me know.

I wonder how much the freelancer got paid to just snap a picture of the Cannon office building! I could have done that!

http://tinyurl.com/t229
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:36 PM   #4

Do you want a steady salary like you got at your current job, or do you want to be a starving artist? You could always be a tabloid photographer, going after celebraties for that one lucky photo to sell.

As for saying, "I could have done that" it's like that painting of the red stripe...sure anyone could have done that, but you have to be the person with the inspiration to do that, and able to sell it to the right person.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 5:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Do you want a steady salary like you got at your current job, or do you want to be a starving artist? You could always be a tabloid photographer, going after celebraties for that one lucky photo to sell.
Considering I have a wife & 2 kids, I'll go for the steady salary
Quote:
As for saying, "I could have done that" it's like that painting of the red stripe...sure anyone could have done that, but you have to be the person with the inspiration to do that, and able to sell it to the right person.
Exactly! I just need to focus (no pun intended) on taking some good pictures, showing them to the right people, and who knows where that will lead
Old Oct 30, 2003, 5:48 PM   #6

It's not good pictures that sell, it's having pictures that people want which sells.

And don't think that if you win a prize in a photography contest that you can sell yourself...you're only as good as your last photograph that sold.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to inject a little reality.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:10 PM   #7

Quote:
It's not good pictures that sell, it's having pictures that people want which sells.

And don't think that if you win a prize in a photography contest that you can sell yourself...you're only as good as your last photograph that sold.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to inject a little reality.
Don't worry, I know your not trying to be mean. Members of this board are always good at dispensing advise and that is what I am looking for. When I wrote the above post I was sitting at my desk at work, wishing I was anyplace but at my desk at work!

BTW. The other day, I had someone comment on my pictures "I'd hang that on my wall!" I didn't sell him anything (long story, but it just wasn't the right moment to do that). Also, the other day I was out taking waterfall pictures and I had someone ask me "Have you ever tried framing your pictures and selling them?" and they hadn't even seen any of my pictures, just me with my camera! Maybe I should get some business cards made and have them on hand for such situations! I also was thinking of having a few postcards made and see if I could place them for sale in local shops (I live in a historic town).
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:32 PM   #8

Default Which reminds me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr

BTW. The other day, I had someone comment on my pictures "I'd hang that on my wall!" I didn't sell him anything (long story, but it just wasn't the right moment to do that). Also, the other day I was out taking waterfall pictures and I had someone ask me "Have you ever tried framing your pictures and selling them?" and they hadn't even seen any of my pictures, just me with my camera! Maybe I should get some business cards made and have them on hand for such situations! I also was thinking of having a few postcards made and see if I could place them for sale in local shops (I live in a historic town).
I have a portfolio of 8x10's that I use to show prospective models my work (8x10's look amazing compared to the images I can show on the Internet). I have some scenic & art-style images in there too. I've had more people order images from me after looking at the 8x10's and a lot of them are ordering images of sunsets & art images that I had never intended to offer for sale.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:34 PM   #9

I don't know how the business is run these days, but once upon a time, greeting card companies used freelancers.

Something to think about.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:32 PM   #10

that shot could be pulled down frame off a video. for images that size and larger its done often. also if you note the byline (CNN) no photographers name sort of points to that.

i do freelance. don't bet your next meal on it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote