Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:58 PM   #1

We have two broken digital cameras around over my parent's house. Both times we inquired about repairs and both times it ended up being not economical to get them repairred so we bought a new one instead. We've taken the cameras to the local camera shop ( which odesn't exist anymore) and some large chain store called Best buy.
I find this disposible buying thing a bit discouraging, however it doesn't make sense for someone to have a camera repairred when one can buy a better model for around the same price in the meantimte.

First one is one was my first digital camera, some kind of Kodak brand which does not work unless it's plugged into an external power source. I think I recall dropping it at some point. It's a lower end model which I think originally cost about $200 and is several years old.

Second one is my fathers' which is some kind of Nikon "coolpix" model, I think it's a year or two old. He was out skiing this winter, dropped it into the snow and now the lens is slightly bent/off center so it no longer closes up. Really was surprised it got broken since it landed in soft snow.

Can you send old cameras somewhere to be recyled or sell newer models for parts?.

PS: Maybe I should have put this into newbie.

Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2009, 4:45 AM   #2

The way the point and shoot market changes (models are often replaced in under a year), it will never be worth repairing. DSLR's are a little bit of a different story, but even there, if it's more than a couple of years old, and not a pro model, they are probably not worth repairing.

As far as what to do with them, there is not really much you can do with them. I've seen broken camera's for sale on ebay, but for what you'd get, I'm not sure it's worth the time. Locally, there may be some sort of a program to recycle old electronic gear. Otherwise, as much as I hate to say it, you might as well just throw them away.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3

Welcome to the world of throwaway.

As much as I personally detest that attitude, we have become a throaway society. If you are not throwing away and buying new, you are somehow guilty of all the financial problems big business is facing ... because you did not buy their newest, fanciest, product and throw away the old.

And that attitude has spread to most of the worlds monied cultures.

And it is an attitude that must change, IMHO.

But there are a few of us still around who repair what we can, and are willing to attempt repairs ourselves when necessary. Problem is, often the very repair parts needed are not available ... and that, too,is by design.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:43 AM   #4

Since you have nothing to lose you might use some heavy force on the lens to try to straighten it. It probably won't work, but it is worth a try before throwing it away.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:52 PM   #5

PLEASEdo not throw the cameras into the trash.

Consumer electronics, such as digital cameras, contain printed circuit boards which have minute (trace) amounts of heavy metals such as silver, gold, lead and even mercury in the traces and components attached to the circuit boards. There are also micro switches, USB connectors etc that also may contain heavy metals. These heavy metals can leach from land fills and contaminate the environment.

Instead throw the cameras into the consumer hazardous waste disposal .

(my city and the local county both havea specific day and location for consumer hazardous waste disposals... including consumer electronics, computers, spray paints etc)
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:07 PM   #6

BestBuy may take old electronics for recycling:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at149900050025

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:38 PM   #7

You could also give it to a young hobbyist as a learning experience. It may still end up in a landfill or recycle bin, but would serve a useful purpose in the meantime.

Many of us began our technical education by taking apart old, broken items and finding ways to make them work again, or serve another purpose. That broken camera could become the 'eyes' of a robot.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:01 AM   #8

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
BestBuy may take old electronics for recycling:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at149900050025

That is mighty nice of them.

I knew some of the office supply stores and RatShack would take the rechargeable batteries, but I didn't know about BB.

Thanks, I will add BB to my list of goodguys.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:03 AM   #9

That Best Buy program is good to know about. I use old CRT monitors and my last one had a burning smell. It might still be in my parent's garage. Course if I wasn't planning to buy a new expensive camera, I could have a nice flat screen monitor.

Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote