Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1

Without delving deeply into iso speeds, or mirror locks or noise or bokeh, here's my question.....

Why am I a Canon guy? Why are you a Canon person or a Nikon person.

One person said, if your first camera is a Canon, you'll probably always be a Canon guy. If it was a Nikon, you'll probably stick with Nikon.

But other than that, is Nikon the cool brand because they're prominately displayed on CSI Miami or NCIS? Does one make a more high tech noise than the other.

What's the psychology behind the camera brand you pick (please, rmember, do go all techno-camera-bable on us.) What sold us on the brand we call home?

FP

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:58 PM   #2
Administrator

I moved this thread to our General Q&A Forum, which is probably the best place for members to see it and respond.

Canon versus Nikon, huh? They're the market leaders.

My first "serious" camera was an old Canon Rangefinder my father gave me. It's actually within 2 feet of where I'm sitting right now, complete with an external flash (the kind that takes bulbs), a light meter (sorry, no meter built into the camera), filters, and more. LOL I dug around in the attic and found it not long ago.

I've also used Nikon cameras (35mm), and one of my first digital cameras was a Nikon (and I've still got a working Nikon Coolpix 950). But, I've owned other brands since then (Olympus, Epson, and more).

I shoot with a Sony A700 now (which I bought as an upgrade to a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D). For one thing, I like it that all of my lenses are stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system, and I can use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 5:27 PM   #3

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
One person said, if your first camera is a Canon, you'll probably always be a Canon guy. If it was a Nikon, you'll probably stick with Nikon.
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:16 PM   #4

For DSLRs, Canon because they came out with a under $1000 DSLR before Nikon. The decision to go Canon was easy a few years ago.

For P&S, no brand loyalty there.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:50 PM   #5

My first real camera was a ricoh all manual slr. I moved to minolta in the 90's and shot with that until the first part of this decade. I then switched to Nikon. The first reason was Nikon's reputation, and the "coolness' of owning one. Also, the D70 had been released, and Minolta had no DSLR's on the horizon. When the D50 came out I jumped on it and have since shot a D80 and D300. I also own an Olympus E-510...it's small and lightweight and great to carry when I want DSLR features and quality in a small package.

Most of my point and shoots have been Canon's, and I currently own a G10 and A720.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:09 PM   #6

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:
What's the psychology behind the camera brand you pick (please, rmember, do go all techno-camera-bable on us.) What sold us on the brand we call home?
Different people pick different brands for different reasons, but whichever brand they pick, they generally accumulate lenses and accessories for that brand of camera. If they need to or want to replace a camera, they replace it with another camera that will work with all the other stuff they already have. It has little to do with loyalty. It has a lot to do with practicality. Disposing of all the stuff so you can switch brands is a big deal. It's easier to just stick with the brand you started with. That's why it ends up being 'home'. Not because you like current your home, but because moving is a pain.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:45 PM   #7

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Quote:

I am, at heart, a contrarian. While there may be good reasons for a brand to be at the top of the market, I generally find that it boils down to publicity rather than quality or useability. So I don't, and probably won't own either.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:33 PM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Different people pick different brands for different reasons, but whichever brand they pick, they generally accumulate lenses and accessories for that brand of camera. If they need to or want to replace a camera, they replace it with another camera that will work with all the other stuff they already have. It has little to do with loyalty. It has a lot to do with practicality. Disposing of all the stuff so you can switch brands is a big deal. It's easier to just stick with the brand you started with. That's why it ends up being 'home'. Not because you like current your home, but because moving is a pain.
I agree with that, but I'd add that today's DSLRs are so capable and the differences between them are more a matter of choice/taste than it being a situation where one can and another cannot.

To go one step farther, what one does better today will likely be eclipsed by another brand tomorrow. As soon as you dump your lenses, that would likely ensure your old brand will be on the top of the heap within a short time.

Greg

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 3:31 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I was a Konica Minolta 5D user when I got into dSLRs as I thought I was just going to bea general shooter, however I quickly had an opportunity to shoot sports and as I started doing this at a higher level realised that it wasn't doing the business. Looking at the KM lineup and what might come out there was nothing on this horizon from that would allow me to get the quality I wanted with the speed and performance for sports.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The decision then had to be made which way to go and when I made the switch Canon was the hands down leader in the middle range camera with high ISO and fast continuous shooting. Once I was in with Canon then there is no point changing as I had too much invested in lenses, flash etc. If I was getting in now the decision is not nearly so clear cut and new advances from both brands are keeping them as market leaders.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:23 AM   #10

Home can also equal learning curve. When you're shooting professionally, you need to know how to operate your equipment without doing a lot of thinking. I find that I stick with the 40d and 5d because they operate very much the same. I'd like to get a rebel but the lack of the "wheel" and otherexternal controls would make it a pain to use as a back up. So even after you become "branded" you may be stuck within the brand to a certain type of camera model.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote