Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:52 AM   #1

Default How do I spend my cash?

:? I am trying to decide how best to spend my cash on a digital camera. I am fairly new to the photographic world, and certainly to digital cameras, so I am after a camera that is easy to use out of the box, yet has lots of manual features for when I get more used to it all.

I want to photograph wildlife as well as the usual holiday portrait and landscape shots, so something with a decent optical zoom would be best. I also want a high resolution just in case I fluke a decent shot that I want to print.

Can anyone offer me their advice on which of the following cameras I should invest in :?: ...

:idea: Fuji Finepix S7000
:idea: Sony Cybershot DSC F717
:idea: Minolta D'Image 7i

Cheers for your help, I look forward to hearing your thoughts....
Rich M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2

You also might want to consider the Panasonic FZ1/FZ2 (2MP) or the FZ10 (4MP, which will be out sometime in November). All three cameras are 12x optical and have image stabilization. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 1:48 PM   #3

Cheers for the tip.
I'm trying to get some info on the Panasonic Lumix range as we 'speak'.

I live in the UK, so don't suppose you know when we're likely to see one of these newer cameras over this side of the pond do you :?:

The Leica lense is quite exciting, just as long as the camera has enough oomph to process the images clearly.

Am prepared to spend quite a bit of cash on this one as I want it to last me for a while. Any idea what sort of cost these Panasonic ones are likely to come in at :?:

So, I suppose my question now is, should I go for a Sony DSC F717, a Fuji Finepix S7000 (not yet out in the UK) or should I wait to see the Panasonic FZ10?

I know you camera buffs must get asked this sort of question quite a bit, but I'd appreciate some expert advice and having read the other forum Q&A's, I know I'm in the right place.

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 1:54 PM   #4

Default Well, now we're talking

You want to spend a lot of cash.......now that's different! Look at the Canon 10D Digital SLR. Why restrict yourself with a smaller sensor camera & be stuck with one lens?
Old Nov 1, 2003, 4:14 AM   #5

The idea of a D-SLR is a nice one. But when I say I want to spend quite a bit of cash - I don't think I have that much. I don't think I can even stretch to a Canon EOS 300D, given the extar cost of the lenses.

I'm limiting myself to a fixed lense for ease of use at the moment I suppose. Who knows, I may want to go D-SLR at some point in the future.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 12:57 PM   #6

The Minolta A1, Sony F717 or Canon G5 would all be good options for you. They might be a little pricy, but they're quality cameras. The only downfall of the Canon is it only has a 4X optical zoom.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote