Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2009, 6:22 AM   #1

good evening peeps! i just want to know what is the shutter cycle of the Canon EOS 450D and what would happen if ever it reaches its maximum shutter cycle?

TIA for the replies!
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2009, 6:42 AM   #2
Administrator

AFAIK, Canon does not publish the shutter life expectancy for their entry level dSLR models. You do see a few web sites designed to help track that kind of thing. Here's one example:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos450d.htm

But, the problem is that the sampling of user reports is way too small to give a realistic estimation of shutter life. I'd expect around 30k clicks from most entry level models (although you may see failures much sooner, or much later).

I would expect to pay approximately $250 for shutter replacement if you have a failure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 6:52 AM   #3

geeh, thanks for the info...hopefully (fingers crossed) my 450D wont be having problems any sooner.
kronuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 10:56 AM   #4

Jim any ideas on how many shutter klicks the Sony A200 can take before I should start to worry. Closing in on 10,000 and only had it since last October.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Administrator

Worry about it when it breaks. ;-)

There is very little data available on shutter life expectancy from most models like this, since they really haven't been around long enough for most users to have run into any failures.

Sony has continued to refine the both the shutter and mirror mechanisms in each newer model. For example, compared to the A100, one of the contributing factors to better AF tracking using continuous focus with the A200 is reduced blackout time (the amount of time the TTL view to the AF sensors and your viewfinder is unavailable while taking photos).

I'd probably expect around 30k clicks from most entry level models (but, YMMV).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 1:29 PM   #6

As Jim said, there is no magic number. Even for pro models that have shutter ratings, the number is just a guide. If the guide says 30k the shutter will not just shut down at 30000 clicks. You may get many more clicks, or many less. A
lot depends on the conditions the camera has been used in and the abuse it has taken. I've owned SLR/DSLR camera's for over 20 years, and never had a shutter fail. Of course that means i'm due to have one fail any day now.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 6:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the info

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote