Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 5, 2009, 6:49 PM   #11
Administrator

If you're on a tight budget, you may want to look at the refurbished models at Dell Outlet. It looks like they've got some of the less expensive Studio 540 models at reasonable prices with a variety of CPUs available (Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads). Click on the Inspiron link for these less expensive alternatives compared to the XPS Studio boxes.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...l=en&s=dfh

You could probably pick up a nicely equipped Studio 540 with fast Intel Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM, a decent size hard drive, DVD writer, fast dedicated graphics card and more for around £500.00. Then, add more RAM yourself if you want more. I'd probably set one up with the Win 7 RC and test drive some Linux distros in a multi-boot config at the same time until you find a setup you like more. Sorry, Dell doesn't offer an Apple OS on their PCs. ;-)

Other that a little Eee PC that I got new last year, I've bought my last two desktops, as well as an Inpiron 1720 laptop in refurbished condtion from Dell Outlet. They all arrived looking like new (I couldn't tell them from new machines), and they're all still working fine. If I can get a Dell refurbished PC for less than a new one, I go refurbished. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 8:48 PM   #12

Durabook laptop with a 14.1 screen; 4 GB of ram; 200GB hard drive, DL DVD burner; Photoshop Elements 5.0; Nereo 9.0; Total Video Converter 3.0; MS Office; Windows XP Pro. Will be upgrading later this year to a 15" model with a Blue ray burner in it.....

Also 2 x 1TGB hard drives in a netgear enclouser and netgear router. 200GB external USB hard drive for backups and a 500GB external hard drive to hold video and other files that will need to be burned to DVDs at some point. 2x 2GB USB thumb drives and an 8GB thumb drive. Dynex high speed multi card card reader and a wolverine 60GB flashpack700 series device.

I also have a 19" stpales flat panel monitor I can attach to the Durabook for doing photo editing.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 5:01 PM   #13

I'm looking at getting a studio XPS (Core i7) box at the moment - although I had a look at the case today and it looked toylike but then again I'm not too bothered about the looks - I just want enough grunt to work on the images and also a good display (cheap but good enough for photo work). I didn;t realise that most LCD's (the cheap ones at least are 6bit displays but there are some that are 8bit and damn good to boot)

Its also interesting to see what people are using for storage and backups - its one of the things that kind of drives me nuts.

Regards OS's... I'm planning on dual booting at least Vista/Linux. The outfput from RAWthereapee looks pretty good too but I want to see what Bibble 5 is going to do and what the files from it are like IQ wise.

Cheers

Harj

PS
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 8:03 PM   #14

For backups photos go to hard drive on my laptop (which is a seagate) and are editing/tagged as soon as possible after shooting. Then 1 copy goes to a 1TGB Seagate drive in a Netgear Storage Central - when the drive is full it goes into gun ammo box in a closet in the basement. Each folder on the hard drive has the same name and contents as one DVD disc. So far only 1 full disc (has 2000 - end of October 2008). The second copy goes to Memorex brand DVDs in slim line cases and filed either in a valutz CD storage unit for the current discs (holds 200 discs) or a large storage unit (looks like a chest of drawers except the drawers are built not a depth and with slots to hold my DVDs) I had built for me that hold 1000 dsics for the archives stored in the basement.

Also I do a full backup of my computer (laptop hard drive) every Monday to an external USB hard drive. I keep the last 2 full backups on the drive.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 5:27 AM   #15

As for me , I have an Intel 24" Imac ( 3G of RAM ) and a 24" Dell S2409W second display. I also use a Lacie 1TB big disc extreme external drive.
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:21 AM   #16

I was seriously thinking of going Corei7 but my budget also had to include a new display as well. So I'm looking at a custom build PC running WIndows 7Rc1 for a tad under 500 and a Dell 2209WA 22" LCD (Jim, thanks for the headsup on this display!) - which works out to be less than the cost of the Dell Studio XPS.

Intel Quad 8400 @ 2.6Ghz, 4GB of RAM (the MB can take upto 16GB), 650GB WD Sata II (possible 1TB), 600W PSU and an ATI 4650 Graphics card - 485.00.

Will pull the trigger in the next day or so.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:00 AM   #17

Folks, If you are considering going to multiple cores in order to speed up processing, I would suggest considering getting a box with either an Intel Core I7 or an AMD based processor. I would pass up the Core Duo, etc. The reasoning is as follows. In the Core Duo, etc. you are adding processors to the main memory bus, thus the speed accessing memory is divided by the number of processors. In some cases, a multi core system can be slower than a single core system. AMD found this out a number of years ago, and desinged the hypertransport bus, essentially each core gets its own path to memory. Intel just recently started to offer a similiar design - the Core I7 - of course for an increase in price.

So, you go out and spend all this money on a fast multi core box - say with a 1333MHz front side bus, so each core gets 666.5MHz (2 cores) or 333.25MHz (4 cores) to main memory. It is even worse when you throw in the graphics card, which just adds a core or two, to the load.

Its is essentially yelling FIRE! in a crowded theater with a single exit.

Also, AMD based system are usually a bit cheaper - with a bit better performance.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:35 PM   #18
Administrator

You may want to look at cyberpower in the U.K. I've seen them mentioned in the U.S., and it looks like they're in the U.K. now, too.

This is their Core i7 configurator. Just click on Customize to make changes:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy..._Configurator/

I'd change it to 6GB of DDR3 (3 x 2GB) so you'll have plenty of tri-channel memory for a 64 bit Operating System (and you need sets of 3 if you want tri-channel addressing with the Core i7 based boxes), get a larger drive, and you'd have a much faster Core i7 based PC with better bandwidth to memory if you're going to install your own Operating System (or, they've got 64 bit Vista Home Premium as an add-on for $70), and tweak the other stuff as desired.

If you want a lower cost Core 2 Quad based box, try this Quad Configurator (just change the CPU, etc.):

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy..._Custom_Build/

But, I'd probably go Core i7 in a new box if I were getting one.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:57 AM   #19

Feb 2007 20 inch iMac. I've used PS Elements to crop only and iPhoto to manage the photos. Upload to SmugMug with MacDaddy. Seldom use the 22inch Acer monitor as a secondary screen - its usually hooked up to the Xbox.

Great machine, great OS. Never going back to Windows and never fooling around with Linux again - I have to work with these two OSes everyday, why should I also struggle at home with them

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote