Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2003, 1:52 PM   #1

Default Nikon dud's - how typical are they?!

Based on a friend's rave reviews of her Nikon Coolpix 995 and the need for a digital camera while I had the money (and mostly my fear of trying to go after a camera that had it all yet not knowing the first thing about digital cameras).... I decided it'd probably be a good idea for me to start on the low end so I went out and got this years version of the Coolpix 995 which is Nikon's Coolpix 2100 and... the battery needs to be forceably pushed down to fit in the compartment (I can't see the battery cover lasting very long - the battery only fits one way so it's in there according to the manual), the memory card is on the tight side too (but not like the battery) and when I finally fired the thing up for the first (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th....) time, I get a "lens error" message which the manual says I'm going to need to contact the retailer about

I feel a little gun-shy about the Nikon now - and I don't want them to fix this camera for me - I want a *new* camera that works straight out of the box the way it's supposed to. I bought it from Ritz camera (they may only be in the Pacific Northwest). My first question is - are Nikon digital camera's normally reliable? And my second question is - since the memory card and battery are installed am I going to get a hassle about getting a new camera now? I don't want this camera!

Thanks for any help!
Becky
Becky0669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2003, 3:09 PM   #2

Any camera with a lens barrel which extends and retracts exposed can have that problem. I've heard of people who have bumped the barrel out of alignment so it would have this problem (I recommend if you're willing to give up some storage space, and you camera can take it, buy a lens tube and a UV filter to protect the lens and the barrel).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 3:46 PM   #3

I took the camera back yesterday and got a new one. I'm pretty careful with my equipment so I hope not to experience what you're talking about! Interesting concept though - I'm not sure how that'd work on this camera (if I keep it)!

Thanks,
Becky
Old Nov 2, 2003, 6:03 PM   #4
Administrator

The Coolpix 2100 is -not- the Coolpix 995's replacement, that would be the Coolpix 4500. The Coolpix 2100 is an economy model camera - read "plastic" - whereas the 995 and 4500 are more expensive models. However, the 2100 is a capable little camera except in low light because like other Coolpix cameras it lacks an auto focus assist lamp. So far only the Coolpix SQ and the newly announced Coolpix 3700 have that feature.

But any of them can have zoom lens mechanism failures although hopefully not right out of the box. I have been using one Coolpix or another for the last three years to take all of the product photos in our camera reviews and have yet to encounter any zoom lens problems. I put about 20-30,000 frames on these cameras starting with the 990, then a 995 and now a 4500.

Good luck with the replacement, I hope it works as it should.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:27 AM   #5

I've had my CP4300 for a few months now and just noticed that on the zoom and the directional buttons, the silver paint has started to chip off. Hmm, I suppose, can't ask for much from paint on plastic.
harman_faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 3:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harman_faiz
I've had my CP4300 for a few months now and just noticed that on the zoom and the directional buttons, the silver paint has started to chip off. Hmm, I suppose, can't ask for much from paint on plastic.
I'm surprised my Oly hasn't started showing signs of paint wear...my skin is notorious for eating silver painted things (not to mention gold painted jewellery)...here's a picture of my mouse (yes, the silver paint is worn where my hand rests when I use it):

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/08.../fun/mouse.jpg
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 3:45 AM   #7

Quote:
The Coolpix 2100 is -not- the Coolpix 995's replacement
Oops - I meant the Coolpix *775* (I don't know why I have the 995 stuck in my head).

The replacement camera does work but not as well as I'd hoped. It has a serious problem with the flash. Indoor macro shots are so flooded with light that the image is all but completely washed out. This kind of nil's one of the major reasons for getting it (for ebay). I went as far as to take a dryer sheet and cut it into a strip wide enough to tape over the flash (quadriple thickness). This actually helps unless the object is shiny. Just my opinion but I don't think you should have to crutch a flash unless you're a professional photographer! Do all digitals have this problem? I see there's a forum here devoted specifically for flash... hmmm.

How in the world did you get up to that candy dish in your sample photos without blinding everybody?! Maybe I'm doing something wrong!

This camera really does take a nice, crisp pic. If the flash weren't so dang "loud" up close - and if it didn't have such a hard time focusing (even with outdoor light in closeup situations) I'd be pretty happy with it (if only it had ZOOM!)