Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 16, 2009, 7:06 PM   #11

Motion will probably be your biggest problem. Animals key in on motion. You need to find a spot and get comfortable so that you don't have to move. And don't move when the subject is looking at you. I have a decent size piece of camo netting that I just drape over myself and the camera. Only the lens sticks out. This allows me to do some shifting around without being too obvious.
Also watch the bg. You don't want distracting elements behind, or in front of your subject. If you are trying to shoot birds at a feeder, try putting a branch near the feeder for the birds to perch on. It will look much more natural than a bird on the feeder.
And good luck ~ Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 12:12 AM   #12
conor

I know from my deck I should be ok (but I can take those shots anytime). There are lots of trees and bushes that the birds hide in between visits to the feeder.

I think I'll trim a few of them so I get clearer views to their usual waiting places. With a bit of luck, they'll continue to perch there when they're more exposed.

Does anyone have any focus tricks? I'll be shooting with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Old May 17, 2009, 6:04 AM   #13
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
Does anyone have any focus tricks? I'll be shooting with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8
You should use single-shot AF and also use center AF point only
-> This will allow you to pick a small bird from the busy background

Like everyone said you really need a longer lens for birding, and with a 2xTC the AF can be quite frustrating if you're not in the sunshine
Also a longer lens will throw the background out of focus more than a shorter focal lenght which will make the subject stand out from their defocused background even when you use smaller aperture - With a 500mm for example you can easily melt the background away even @ f/10: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...-id-birdy.html

Last edited by NHL; May 17, 2009 at 6:18 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 9:08 AM   #14
conor

Alright, thanks everyone. I'll give this a go when my lens comes (it STILL hasn't arrived).