Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 13, 2009, 6:22 PM   #1

Default Sanyo Xacti CG9

Hey people, I have a Sanyo Xacti CG9 and I have had since Christmas. I love the camera itself, but there is one thing about it that really pisses me off. The files on the camera are mpeg-4 files and for some reason, they do not work with my computer.

Windows Media Player & Windows Movie Maker both do no accept mpeg-4 files. So in order to edit my movies or even watch my movies in Media Player, I have to convert the files.

The point of this post was to ask if anybody knew of any good programs that I can use to convert my files from mpeg-4. I know most programs cost, and I am only looking for a program that is free. If no one knows of a convertor, then does anyone know a movie editor that accepts mpeg-4 files?

Thanks
StealthOps013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2009, 9:55 PM   #2

Try a program called Mediacoder. It converts between many different formats.
As to being unable to play mpeg-4 with windows, you may need to d/l codecs, or update your media player. Major Geeks web site has many free programs, which are available for both of your concerns.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Try a program called Mediacoder. It converts between many different formats.
As to being unable to play mpeg-4 with windows, you may need to d/l codecs, or update your media player. Major Geeks web site has many free programs, which are available for both of your concerns.

brian
Yes, when I try to put my videos into Movie Maker, it says that I need to download a codec, but I do not know what specific codec I need to download to fulfill the needs of the program and the files of my camera.
Do you have any ideas on what codec I would need (I am also not really sure what a codec is lol)?

I think if I can just convert the files with Mediacoder, I will be able to play them in Movie Maker or Media Player anyway.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
StealthOps013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 1:15 AM   #4

Codec stands for enCoder/Decoder. It is the framework for how the audio/video is turned into a computer file after being digitized, and then turned back into a/v. There are several Codec packs available for d/l, which have mpeg-4 included. Windows Media player may not work with some, depending on version. I generally use Media Player Classic (another free d/l) for my a/v files, as it seems somewhat faster and smoother, and is included with some of the Codec packs.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote