Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2003, 5:19 PM   #1

Default Portable DVD Player as a mobile digipic photo album?

My first digicam experience with a Fujifilm s5000 has gone pretty well and we've been thinking about a Portable DVD Player as a mobile photo album for us and as an xmas gift for my MIL who lives far away and to whom my wife sends hundreds of prints each year. I'm using an iMac at home and pics that are saved at 3MP resolutions that approximate 2048x1536 and 72x72dpi look great on my iMac's flat panel as well as on my 17" CRT at work.

The results of testing a sampling of these same hires images on several Portable DVD Players at a local retail store were terrible. Can anyone advise on whether downsizing to within the pixel spec of the PDP display will improve image quality enuf to justify a $200-300 investment into this type of device.

The only device that I find can find display resolution specs for is Toshiba which lists 480x234 for their 7" display, and to say the least, high res images on that exact unit were way bad.
critterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2003, 5:33 PM   #2

I think your problem is that DVD is essentially a standard resolution compressed movie format. Blue Ray HD DVD specs are about but I know of few affordable players yet and media to play on them. I think most people burn video CD which replays in most DVD's. I assume it's stills quality you are after?

Of course whatever storage and replay medium you use, if the MIL has a DVD connected to a standard tube TV, connected via a RF/PAL/NTSC/SVhs cable then you've blown away the resolution anyway. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 7:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I think your problem is that DVD is essentially a standard resolution compressed movie format.
I think you are right, Vox. I proportionally scaled down one set of pics to 480 pixels high and a second set to 234 pixels wide. On the seven inch DVD player panels they all look dreadfully fuzzy and fat. Quality is such that even the meager cost of a CD-R is not worth the investment.

Too bad, so sad. It looks like I might have to get my honey to spring for a new aluminum PowerBook if she wants portability. Woe is me!
critterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote