Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2003, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Canon Digital Rebel (300D) Crop Factor w/ New EF-S Lenses?

I just got finished reading the review on the Canon Digital Rebel (300D) in the Jan 2004 edition of"Digital Photographer" in which the review says that this camera when equipped with the new EF-S lens has no crop factor because the lens back extends back into the camera and sits surrounds the CMOS sensor thus, no crop factor.

I have read many online reviews about this camera and a few other magazine articles none of which provided this same information. The author of the "Digital Photographer" article states his source as a Canon Employee. Hmmm...

Does anyone know if there is truth to this claim? Just wondering. I'm thinking that the article is wrong although it kind of makes sense too. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Thanks!
Bill Miller (wackybill)
wackybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2003, 11:56 PM   #2

Default Re: Canon Digital Rebel (300D) Crop Factor w/ New EF-S Lense

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackybill
I just got finished reading the review on the Canon Digital Rebel (300D) in the Jan 2004 edition of"Digital Photographer" in which the review says that this camera when equipped with the new EF-S lens has no crop factor because the lens back extends back into the camera and sits surrounds the CMOS sensor thus, no crop factor.
The EF-S lenses are specially designed for APS-size DSLR cameras to cover a smaller APS image size. Go to this page and select EF-S 18-55 for the details http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/ However, one still have to multiply 1.6 to the focal length. Thus, on a Digital Rebel this 18-55 is actually a 28-90 lens. In other word, the 1.6X still applies and the marking of the lens is still in the traditional 35mm format.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:16 AM   #3

Default Re: Canon Digital Rebel (300D) Crop Factor w/ New EF-S Lense

Quote:
Originally Posted by shene
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackybill
The EF-S lenses are specially designed for APS-size DSLR cameras to cover a smaller APS image size. Go to this page and select EF-S 18-55 for the details http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/ However, one still have to multiply 1.6 to the focal length. Thus, on a Digital Rebel this 18-55 is actually a 28-90 lens. In other word, the 1.6X still applies and the marking of the lens is still in the traditional 35mm format.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
That's what I had thought. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate that. Hmmm, I guess now I should write the magazine to let them know they are misleading people. :-)

Thanks again!
Bill Miller (wackybill)
wackybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:11 PM   #4
Administrator

So much for checking their details before press

If you want to know the real info then just check our reviews and specs tables. We certainly don't live in the fear of being put out of business by the print media.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote