Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 31, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Problem With Instant Email Notification.

I just opened a gmail account and it doesn't send all the email notifications from topics that i replied to, but i never had a problem with my yahoo email account, does anyone know what the problem would be?
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Administrator

I use gmail and it works fine for me. Make sure you've got instant e-mail notification turned on in your options settings. Here's a direct link to that page:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pr...do=editoptions

If they're turned on, check your gmail.com spam folder to make sure they're not being stuffed into it (mark them as "not spam" in gmail if they are).

You may not have noticed the way gmail.com works. It doesn't add a new message line to your in box when it sees followup e-mails for the same topic. gmail sees the same subject line and sender and just turns the existing message subject line from gray to dark black (indicating you haven't read everything in it yet) and adds another message you can see when you click on it again.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I use gmail and it works fine for me. Make sure you've got instant e-mail notification turned on in your options settings. Here's a direct link to that page:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pr...do=editoptions

If they're turned on, check your gmail.com spam folder to make sure they're not being stuffed into it (mark them as "not spam" in gmail if they are).

You may not have noticed the way gmail.com works. It doesn't add a new message line to your in box when it sees followup e-mails for the same topic. gmail sees the same subject line and sender and just turns the existing message subject line from gray to dark black (indicating you haven't read everything in it yet) and adds another message you can see when you click on it again.
Thanks JimC, i do get some but i don't get follow up emails from the same topics or replies and i always delete my emails also, i do have instant email turned on in my account, this seems strange though.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd see what happens if you don't delete them.

It may have something to do with the way gmail is handling it, as it's behavior is a bit odd in the way it recognizes e-mails with the same subject and senders (not adding new message lines to your in box for followup replies to the same topic).
Old May 31, 2009, 1:19 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

google refers to this grouping feature as "conversation view".

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...en&answer=5900

Personally, I don't like it (and I don't see a way to turn it off from what I can find with quick skim through the settings pages).
Old May 31, 2009, 4:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
P.S.

google refers to this grouping feature as "conversation view".

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...en&answer=5900

Personally, I don't like it (and I don't see a way to turn it off from what I can find with quick skim through the settings pages).
Thanks again, i just put my yahoo email back for now