Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:42 AM   #1

Default Filter and Camera storage question

I just bought a Nikon D60 and have been treating it as though it is my first born (which it kind of is...) and I am scared to death of hurting it in any way. Anyway, this is my first DSLR, first SLR and I know nothing about filters. I don't intend on being in very harsh conditions at all but have read some on UV filters? I don't understand the purpose, how to use, which one(s) do I NEED, if any?

I plan on shooting at a beach later this summer and have read that a filter is a good idea due to sand, what other steps should I take to protect my camera from wind/sand/sun?

My second question is concerning storing my camera. I have the Lowepro Linx 160 bag which has been discontinued for some time but here is a link to a picture of it:
http://www.photographyreview.com/cha...uct_143263.jpg
The bag has a large zippered compartment with padding and removable velcroed pads to rearrange. I currently have it so I store the camera screen down, lens up in this bag with the padding moved so that it fits relatively snuggly. I've only taken my camera in the bag once since I just got the camera a couple of days ago but have been storing it in this position in the bag when the camera is not in use also. I am looking for views on whether this is a safe way to store the camera or whether I should position the camera differently in the bag such as how I would if it were sitting on a table?

Wow, sorry but I thought of a third question: Screen protection?! Do you use anything? What do you use? I don't want any unsightly scratches!!

Thanks for any responses! I really appreciate it!
nattycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattycan View Post
I just bought a Nikon D60 and have been treating it as though it is my first born (which it kind of is...) and I am scared to death of hurting it in any way. Anyway, this is my first DSLR, first SLR and I know nothing about filters. I don't intend on being in very harsh conditions at all but have read some on UV filters? I don't understand the purpose, how to use, which one(s) do I NEED, if any?

I plan on shooting at a beach later this summer and have read that a filter is a good idea due to sand, what other steps should I take to protect my camera from wind/sand/sun?

My second question is concerning storing my camera. I have the Lowepro Linx 160 bag which has been discontinued for some time but here is a link to a picture of it:
http://www.photographyreview.com/cha...uct_143263.jpg
The bag has a large zippered compartment with padding and removable velcroed pads to rearrange. I currently have it so I store the camera screen down, lens up in this bag with the padding moved so that it fits relatively snuggly. I've only taken my camera in the bag once since I just got the camera a couple of days ago but have been storing it in this position in the bag when the camera is not in use also. I am looking for views on whether this is a safe way to store the camera or whether I should position the camera differently in the bag such as how I would if it were sitting on a table?

Wow, sorry but I thought of a third question: Screen protection?! Do you use anything? What do you use? I don't want any unsightly scratches!!

Thanks for any responses! I really appreciate it!
Filters are a great way to protect your lens. If you are going to the beach or so, yes I would get a UV filter or a clear filter. There are no special way that you need to use them, just put them on and shoot. UV filter cut down the haze in the air and a clear filter is just a clear filter. I would also use the lens hood to give it extra protection even if you are shooting indoors. The lens hood may save your lens or filter when someone accidentally bump up against your camera.

As long as you keep your camera in the bag there is no right or wrong way to store it. Just as long as you don't drop the bag down hard it shouldn't matter how the camera is inside the bag.

Screen protector, I don't use them. The dSLR screen are pretty hard. I had my K100D for about 2-3 years now and the screen is still fine and I take it backpacking a lot.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

The kit lens on my Nikon didn't come with a hood but I can pick up the HB-45 for it. I am definitely a newbie but from what I've been reading, most people seem to say that they are primarily for cutting down glare on a lens when outside but then some people say that using them all the time to protect the lens is a good idea. I also have read that using them with the camera's flash is not a good idea. I am planning on purchasing the SB-600 soon so this shouldn't be an issue.

So a UV filter is to cut down on "haze"? I will be shooting on a beach in the Atlantic ocean (northern Atlantic) so it won't be particularly hot outside I don't think, I am mostly thinking of wind and blowing sand. In this instance would I be wise to use a clear filter and the hood?

I guess my question is when would you choose a clear filter and when would you choose a UV filter.

And then I would remove the filter to maintain image quality when I am not at the beach but could leave the hood on to protect my lens from being "bumped" as long as I use it with an external flash when using flash?

Sorry for all the questions, new to SLR entirely and it is a steep steep curve! Thanks again!
nattycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

The kit lens on my Nikon didn't come with a hood but I can pick up the HB-45 for it. I am definitely a newbie but from what I've been reading, most people seem to say that they are primarily for cutting down glare on a lens when outside but then some people say that using them all the time to protect the lens is a good idea. I also have read that using them with the camera's flash is not a good idea. I am planning on purchasing the SB-600 soon so this shouldn't be an issue.

So a UV filter is to cut down on "haze"? I will be shooting on a beach in the Atlantic ocean (northern Atlantic) so it won't be particularly hot outside I don't think, I am mostly thinking of wind and blowing sand. In this instance would I be wise to use a clear filter and the hood?

I guess my question is when would you choose a clear filter and when would you choose a UV filter.

And then I would remove the filter to maintain image quality when I am not at the beach but could leave the hood on to protect my lens from being "bumped" as long as I use it with an external flash when using flash?

Sorry for all the questions, new to SLR entirely and it is a steep steep curve! Thanks again!
I'm on that steep curve with you.

In additon to the lens hood, I have a UV filter that I keep on my kit lens most of the time, primarily for protection. For protective purposes, there is probably no difference between a clear filter or UV other than cost and I have no idea whether or not UV haze is much of an issue anyways. There are arguments against using UV filters as they might adversely affect image quality, but at my age, my eyes can't tell any difference. Also, as most of my photography was in the SLR age, UV filters were used more often. The only other filter I do use is a circular polarizing which is useful when doing landscapes or beachscapes.

As for a lenshood being a problem with camera mounted flash, the lens manual that came with my Pentax doesn't indicate any problems as long as the flash has a wide angle coverage to match the lens.

Regards

Last edited by bluenose; Jun 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM. Reason: Clarity
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 6:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

UV cost a little bit more but not that much. I would just buy the UV filter and leave it on even. Even if there is no haze it does not effect the image. Well, some photographers are against using ANY filters because it effects some of the quality of the image. It just depends on how picky you are. Like what bluenose said, I haven't noticed any lower quality image on my photos unless if I zoom in at 100% and compare it side by side. But even then, it is really hard to tell which one has the filter. If you are doing a photo shoot for a magazine or something where you MUST get the highest quality possible image, then you may want to remove the filter. Personally I just leave it on even if I shoot an event.

I can't say the same if you use really cheap filters. I would stay away from off brand filters off of ebay. Stick to brands like Hoya, Tiffen, Cokin and even sunpak make decent filters. A good place to buy filters for cheap is www.2filter.com. Also check out bhphoto.com and adorama.com for used filters if you want to save some money. I had some great results from the both of them.

Yes the main job of the lens hood is to help prevent lens flare but it also does a good job as a lens protector. As far as the lens hood and built in flash, I think it depends on how wide the lens is. It is usually a problem if you use wide angle lens like at 18mm, but it really depends on the lens so your miles may vary.

Last edited by superakuma; Jun 5, 2009 at 6:16 PM.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:43 PM   #6

The one time you want to make sure you remove any filters is if you are taking pictures in low light and a light source is in the frame. For instance, if you are taking urban scenes at night that have street lights in the frame - you'll get ghosting (secondary images of the lights in other places in the picture). You can see these occasionally indoors, if you have a lamp in the frame. This is a common problem with filters (I have a number of ruined shots because of this).

P.S. Another good idea for the beach is a circular polarizer. It will cut down on reflected light from water, sand etc. But you can't really use it all the time as you lose light with one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote